Traditional apple pie with tart green apples and an all-butter crust is the perfect dessert for any occasion!
I usually only make apple pie during the holiday season. It’s one of those desserts that is really so simple to make, but is a huge crowd-pleaser.
One of the tools I use to make this apple pie so easy to make is an apple-peeler-corer-slicer! The one I have is from Pampered Chef, however I’ve seen them in Walmart, on Amazon online and in Bed, Bath, and Beyond. If you make apple pie, you must get one of these!
In about 20 seconds, one apple is completed peeled, cored, and sliced… perfect for pie!
Once you’ve got your apples ready, you can start adding all the ingredients that make the pie perfection.
Brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, a pinch of salt and BUTTER. SO MUCH BUTTER!
For the crust you can either go simple with just a few slits in the top for ventilation or you can be creative!
Lately, I’ve been following @karinpfeiffboschek on Instagram and her pie crust game is ON FIRE! You need to check her out!
Personally, I like a simple crust only because I know my family doesn’t really care what the crust looks like… they’re interested in what’s under that crust!
Using cookie cutters to cut a few shapes in the crust adds a simple, fun, seasonal, festive flair to the pie and takes no time at all to do.
Finishing off the crust with an egg wash and sugar will help brown the crust and give it a sweet crunch!
Bake this apple pie until it’s a caramel golden brown, let it cool, then slice it up and EAT IT!
The combination of spices, sweetness of the sugar, tartness of the apples and the buttery, flakey crust make this apple pie PURE PERFECTION!
- 2 All Butter Pie Crusts
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp water
- coarse sugar (I use Sugar in the Raw)
- 5lb bag of green apples
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 lemon - zested & juiced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ⅓-1/2 cup cubed unsalted butter
- 1 8" or 9" pie plate
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Prepare first pie crust according to directions above.
- Gently place pie crust in pie plate and press into the plate. Trim excess dough off the edges. Chill until ready to fill.
- Peel, core, and slice the apples and place them in a large bowl.
- Add lemon zest, lemon juice, sugars, vanilla, salt, and flour. Toss together until completely coated.
- Pour apples into prepared cold pie crust. Gently press the apples into the plate so no pockets of space are left and apples fill the entire crust. Place small cubes of butter across the top of the pie. Use as much or as little of the butter as you want - there's no right amount of butter to add here.
- Chill while preparing top crust.
- Prepare second crust according to directions in recipe above. Roll out the dough and use cookie cutters to cut out a couple shapes in the top. You can skip this step if you prefer to just put a few slits in the top for vent holes.
- Gently place second crust on top of apples and butter. Trim off the extra crust and crimp the edges together.
- Place extra dough cut-outs on top or slit the dough in a few places to vent.
- In a small bowl, mix together the water and egg. Brush the egg wash over the entire surface of the pie.
- Sprinkle generously with coarse sugar.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes at 375F degrees. Reduce heat to 325 F and continue baking for 45-70 minutes or until the crust is dark, golden brown.
- If the edges begin to burn, cover them with a pie crust cover or tin foil.
- Allow pie to cool completely before serving.