Impress your friends with these super easy Samoa Cupcakes! Made with my tried and true chocolate cake recipe, these cupcakes are topped with a brown sugar frosting, toasted coconut, chocolate drizzle and a Samoa Cookie!
This past Saturday, my neighbor Doris invited me and the kids over for a BBQ to help the time pass before my husband comes home from Afghanistan. It was a last minute invite, seeing it was already 4:30pm and I was in my sweat pants with no make-up on so I hesitated at first about coming over. I mean… it’s one thing to be in sweats in front of my neighbor, but in mixed company… I wasn’t too sure.
After a little convincing, I decided I’d toss the kids over the fence and join the neighbors, their kids and another family for a BBQ dinner.
My mom taught that when someone invites you for dinner, you bring something to the table. You don’t come empty handed. So, I ran into the kitchen and did a quick inventory of what I had on hand to make. I always have supplies for cupcakes, but what could I throw together that would have that “WOW” factor?
I still had a few boxes of Girl Scout Samoa cookies left, so I decided I’d do a play on those for the cupcakes.
I started with my favorite chocolate cake recipe for the cupcakes. Then, I topped the cupcakes with a brown sugar frosting. I didn’t have any caramel, so I wanted to incorporate the flavor of caramel into the frosting… brown sugar was the easiest way to do that.
While the cupcakes were cooling, I toasted some sweetened coconut and pulled the Hershey’s chocolate syrup out of the fridge to come to room temperate. I halved a few Samoa cookies and I was ready to put it all together.
On top of the swirl of brown sugar frosting, I sprinkled a generous amount of toasted coconut. Then, drizzled the chocolate sauce over the coconut and garnished the entire cupcake with half a Samoa Cookie.
Easy Samoa Cupcakes! The entire process took less than two hours… most of which was spent waiting for the cupcakes to cool enough so the frosting wouldn’t melt!
- Use THIS RECIPE for the chocolate cupcakes
- NOTE: For this recipe I used a caramel flavored brewed coffee
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1lb powdered sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup heavy cream or milk
- ½ cup toasted coconut
- Chocolate syrup
- Samoa cookies, halved
- Make cupcakes according to the directions in THIS RECIPE
- Cream the butter and brown sugar together until smooth - about 2 minutes.
- Add the powdered sugar, salt, and vanilla extract and mix until incorporated.
- Add the cream/milk and beat until smooth, light and fluffy. Add more milk if you desire a looser consistency.
- Using a Wilton 1M piping tip, pipe a swirl of frosting on to each cupcake.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut on top then drizzle chocolate sauce over.
- Garnish each cupcake with ½ a Girl Scout Samoa Cookie.