You can’t make a plate full of Christmas cookies without including fudge! So today, I set out on a mission to find a simple yet delicious recipe for chocolate fudge. I’m not good with a candy thermometer, so I needed a recipe that didn’t call for one. Martha Stewart provided just that recipe for me this year.
I know… Martha Stewart hasn’t typically given me good recipes. Most I’ve tried turn out bland and I wonder what the heck their recipe testers were thinking. BUT… I figured I’d give this fudge a try. I mean really, how hard is it to mess up cream and chocolate?
I made this fudge two ways. The first I mixed in Peanut Butter M&Ms and the second I mixed in Heath toffee pieces and pretzel chunks. Both of these flavor combinations are sure to be a huge hit with my friends! PB & chocolate and salty & sweet. Can’t go wrong with those flavor combos!
Really, you could mix just about anything into this fudge… nuts, other chips (white, dark, butterscotch), any other candies, cookies, pretzels. They sky is the limit!
What are you going to mix into your fudge?
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp salt
- 2½ cups pretzel pieces (chop them first, then measure)
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp Heath Bar toffee pieces
- 2 cups Peanut Butter M&Ms
- NOTE: If you're making both types of fudge, you'll need to have double the ingredients. This makes one batch.
- Lightly spray 8x8 pan with cooking spray and line with parchment paper so that it hangs over the edges of the pan.
- Combine butter, chocolate chips, condensed milk, vanilla extract and salt in a medium heat proof bowl. Set the bowl over a simmering water.
- Stir occasionally until chocolate just melts and mixture is combined and warm but not hot, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and fold in 2 cups of pretzels and ½ cup toffee pieces.
- Spread the fudge evenly into the prepared pan. Smooth out the top.
- Press ½ cup pretzels and 2 Tbsp toffee into the top of the fudge.
- Refrigerate several hours until firm. Cut into 36 squares.
- Repeat process using the M&Ms instead of the pretzels/toffee.
- Store in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.