I’ve had my eye on these empanadas for a while now. My friend down the street can make empanada dough from scratch and fills them with so many yummy things and then CakeSpy posted a recipe for peanut butter filled empanadas… I’ve been inspired.
So for this months Berry BlogHop I decided I needed to fill empanadas with berries and dunk them in chocolate.
Oh yeah. OH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
Chocolate Dipped Berry Empanadas
Flaky crust filled with sweet berries dipped in chocolate… can’t get much better than this!
- 2 boxes premade pie crust (4 crusts)
- 2 12oz bags frozen berries (I used bags that contained blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and cherries) NOTE: You can also use fresh berries – you’ll need about 4 cups worth.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 egg + 1 Tbsp water (for egg wash)
- sugar, for dusting
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup milk or cream
- Bring pie crusts to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 450 F degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large pan, melt the butter on high heat.
- Add the berries and sugar to the pan and stir to coat the berries.
- Once the berry juice beings to bubble, remove 1/2 cup of the juice and combine it with 2-3 Tbsp of corn starch. Whisk the juice and starch together until all lumps are gone. Add this mixture back into the pan with the berries. Bring to a boil to thicken, stirring often and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Once the mixture has thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pie crusts. Using a rolling pin, flatten out crust until it’s as thin as a dime.
- Using a 3in round cookie cutter, cut dough rounds and place on cookie sheet.
- Brush egg wash around edges of dough round.
- Spoon 1-2 tsp of berry filling into the center of each round. Fold the round over and press the edges closed with a fork.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Melt butter and chocolate together on low heat until smooth.
- Add the cream and stir until combined and smooth.
- Dip cooled empanada in the melted ganache.
- Set on wire rack to cool and harden before serving.
Please be sure to check out what my fabulous co-hosts are bringing to the table:
A little bit of everything ~ Roxana GreenGirl ~ @RoxanaGreenGirl
Baker Street ~ Anuradha ~ @bakerstreet29
Baking and Cooking, A Tale of Two Loves ~ Becky Higgins
BigFatBaker ~ Erin Meyer ~ @bigfatbaker
Bon à croquer ~ Valerie ~ @valouth
Cake Duchess ~ Lora ~ @cakeduchess.com
Easily Good Eats ~ Three Cookies
Elephant Eats ~ Amy
Hobby And More ~ Richa ~ @betit19
Java Cupcake ~ Betsy Eves ~ @JavaCupcake
Mis Pensamientos ~ Junia ~ @juniakk
No One Likes Crumbley Cookies ~ T.R. ~ @TRCrumbley
Oh Cake ~ Jessica ~ @jesshose
Queen’s Notebook ~ Elizabeth Quirino ~ @Mango_Queen
Rico sin Azúcar ~ Helena ~ @ricosinazucar
Simply Reem ~ Reem ~ @Simplyreem
Soni’s Food for Thought ~ Soni ~ @sonisfood
Teaspoon of Spice ~ Deanna Segrave-Daly ~ @tspbasil
That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!! ~ Liz ~ @thatskinnychick
The Art of Cooking Real Food ~ Laura ~ @TAofCRF
The Wimpy Vegetarian ~ Susan ~ @wimpyvegetarian
Vegan Yack Attack ~ Jackie S. ~ @veganyackattack
Vegetarian Mamma ~ Cindy ~ @vegetarianmamma