My last morning before baby arrived I decided I needed to do some baking. Usually, I wake up in the morning and eat a bowl of cereal topped with raspberries and other fruit… but I’m always in need of a mid-morning snack. So this breakfast cake will be perfect for that!
I saw the recipe for Cinnabon Cinnamon Roll Breakfast Cake on Six Sisters Stuff… one of my new favorite blogs to read! There are so many blogs out there that it’s hard to keep up with them some times. I was featured on their blog a couple of weeks ago, so I
bookmarked them, follow them on Facebook and keep coming back to their recipes!
This cake is good room temperature, but we sliced it right out of the oven after I drizzled the glaze on top and it was so OOOEY AND GOOEY and yummy! Swirls and chunks of the cinnamon/sugar all through it with the sweet glaze on top. It’s pretty much a perfect Sunday morning treat for the family!
Definitely a WINNER!
- 3 cups flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1½ cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (I used homemade!)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature and soft
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 5 Tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of cinnamon for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. Grease a 13×9 in metal pan. (I also like to line the bottom of my In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder from the “1st layer”.
- Add the milk, eggs, and vanilla from the “1st layer” and whisk until smooth.
- Gently mix in the 4 Tbsp melted butter.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and spread to the edges.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the “2nd layer” butter and brown sugar.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix in the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg until smooth.
- Using a tablespoon, drop this mixture evenly over cake batter. Use a knife or spatula to marble/swirl through the cake.
- Bake 35-45 minutes or until toothpick comes out nearly clean from center (a few crumbs is what you want). You may need to cover the pan with foil for the last 5-10 minutes to prevent the edges from getting too brown.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then glaze, cut and eat warm!
- In a bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth.
- Drizzle over warm cake, dust with cinnamon , cut and eat!!
Recipe adapted from: Six Sister’s Stuff