Box mixes are a huge NO NO in my kitchen! I do not use them to make any of my cakes or cupcakes… EVER. I am a strictly a “from-scratch” kinda baker.
BUT… I kept seeing pictures for Cake Batter cookies on Pinterest and I kept thinking to myself that I needed to try them. The box mix wasn’t the main ingredient so it must be in there just add some flavor and texture.
So, I bit the bullet and bought a box of yellow cake mix.
I know… I almost feel like a traitor as a baker. That was until I saw how amazing the cookies turned out and I understood.
These cookies are light, fluffy and FULL of yummy flavor. The dough was pretty stiff, so I wasn’t sure how they’d turn out… but seriously, they are super yummy! They’d be perfect for anyone who just wants a simple cookie without any fuss!
Cake Batter & Pudding Cookies
Makes 3+ dozen cookies
3/4 cup (12 tbsp) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sugar
1 (3.4 oz) package JELL-O French Vanilla instant pudding mix
3/4 cup yellow cake mix
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1.25oz jar of star sprinkles (or any shape you have on hand)
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream together the butter and sugars.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, scrape the sides of the bowl and mix on high until smooth.
- Mix in the pudding mix and cake mix and beat on high until incorporated. (About 30 seconds.)
- Add the flour mixture and mix on medium-high until combined. NOTE: Dough will be thick!
- By hand stir in all but 2 tbsp of the sprinkles into the dough.
- Roll 1in. balls of dough and place onto cookie sheet at least 1-2 inches apart.
- Using the reserved sprinkles, press a few stars on top of each ball. This will ensure that you can see that there are sprinkles baked into the cookies!
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating pan after 8 minutes.
- Let cool on pan for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve with milk and enjoy!