Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes

| Christmas, cinnamon, Coffee, featured, gingerbread, seasonal, spiced

I’ve never used molasses before, I’ve never made gingerbread before. To be honest, I don’t know if I’ve ever had more than maybe a couple gingerbread anythings in my life. So why am I making gingerbread cupcakes and cookies? Because it’s Christmas!!

These gingerbread cupcakes were inspired by the Gingerbread Latte I had the other day at Starbucks.  Coffee, espresso and a hint of chocolate make this cupcake so YUMMY!  At first, I wanted to top it with a true whipped cream frosting, but I decided against that because I knew I needed these cupcakes for tomorrow and well… whipped cream won’t last that long.  So I made a cinnamon buttercream but used whipping cream as the thinning agent.

The gingerbread men are also homemade, but I’ll be featuring them in another post coming soon!  Enjoy these little beauties!

Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda

1 cup hot milk

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.  Line cupcake tins with your favorite liners.
  2. Cream the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy (about 3-4 minutes).
  3. One at a time, add the eggs making sure to completely incorporate after each addition. Beat on high for 2 minutes after last egg.
  4. Add the molasses and mix until thoroughly incorporated.  Make sure you scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure the molasses is really mixed in well.
  5. In a large bowl, whisk or sift together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, espresso powder, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking soda and salt).
  6. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until just combined.
  7. By hand, stir in the hot milk mixture.
  8. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the liners no more than 3/4 full.
  9. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes.  Rotate the pan 180 degrees, reduce the heat to 325 degrees F and cook an additional 7-9 minutes or until a toothpic comes out clean.
  10. Allow to cool a few minutes in the pan and remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

Cinnamon Whipped Cream Frosting
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
5-6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 heavy whipping cream

1. Cream the butter until smooth.
  2. In thirds, add the sifted powdered sugar.  Add the whipping cream after each addition.  Mix on high for 30 seconds after each addition.
  3. Add the vanilla and cinnamon.
  4. Add any extra whipping cream or powdered sugar to get the desired consistency you want for your frosting.
  5. Beat on high for 4 minutes.

15 Comments on Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes

1. Nicole Wight
    December 13, 2010 at 9:11 pm (4 years ago)

I CANNOT WAIT TO MAKE THESE! When I saw you were baking them, I knew a new recipe was coming. Gingerbread is my #1 FAVORITE during the holidays…to top it off, I needed a super cute cupcake for my son’s holiday party next week..and I even have little gingerbread men liners to go with them! THANKS SO MUCH!! <3

2. Bobby
    December 17, 2010 at 4:13 am (4 years ago)

Amazing looking. I too want to try to make gingerbread cupcakes at some point before the season is over. Very much looking forward to your recipe for the cute little gingerbread men as stores seem to carry the “full size” version only around here.

December 17, 2010 at 9:27 am (4 years ago)

You totally should make these!! I had people telling me they were the best cupcakes they’ve ever had!!! hehe :) Love that compliment!

I had to buy a box of mini cookie cutters in order to get that mini gingerbread man. I believe I got them at JoAnn’s. :)

3. Ewa
    December 26, 2010 at 7:40 am (4 years ago)

Hey girlie! Thanks for checking out my blog! I am loving all these recipes you have posted and am excited to welcome you in Germany! Will you be stationed at the Wiesbaden base?:)

I am glad our love of cupcakes has broken the ice and I look forward to keeping up with your blog.:)

Ewa from Das Cupcake in Frankfurt

December 27, 2010 at 11:10 am (4 years ago)

Grafenwoehr is where we’ll be stationed, in Bavaria. I’m so excited to go!!! :) Can’t wait to come out there and experience the cupcake scene in Germany!

Betsy

4. Kristy
    October 2, 2011 at 7:15 pm (3 years ago)

The espresso powder used for the recipe, is it an actual powder or espresso ground coffee?

October 2, 2011 at 7:29 pm (3 years ago)

It’s an actual powder. You can get it in the coffee isle of most grocery stores. I know that the Metropolitan Market has it for sure as well as Whole Foods.

5. Sue
    October 7, 2011 at 7:03 pm (3 years ago)

Did the whipped cream make this frosting any harder to pipe on? I’m relatively new to the pastry bag so am still not the best at piping any kind of frosting but I REALLY want to try these-they look divine!

October 10, 2011 at 9:48 am (3 years ago)

The whipped cream is definitely softer than regular buttercream so you have to be more gentle when piping, but it’s really worth it in the end. It makes these cupcakes amazing!

6. Kristy
    October 10, 2011 at 6:52 am (3 years ago)

Can you use liquid espresso instead of the powder?

October 10, 2011 at 9:47 am (3 years ago)

You could… but it wouldn’t give quite the punch that the powder does. The powder really give a huge flavor of coffee! :)

7. Renisa
    December 21, 2013 at 7:45 pm (10 months ago)

how many cupcakes does this make? the molasses seems a bit much and its flavor is already so strong. i wouldn’t want to put a whole cup in just a dozen cupcakes.

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes

1. [...] those beloved gingerbread men too! This recipe for a Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes comes from JavaCupcake.com and is a perfect combination of molasses, ginger, a little bit of cocoa and espresso!  A [...]

2. [...] Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes Perfectly spiced gingerbread cupcakes adorned with homemade mini gingerbread men. So sweet for the [...]

3. [...] Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes [...]