Evil Shenanigans is one of my favorite blogs to follow, so when she posted the recipe for Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Scones from SCRATCH I knew I had to make them! Not only were her pictures so divine, but the recipe was super simple! I whipped up a batch last night, tweaking it ever so slightly to accommodate for ingredients I had at my house. (I noted my changes in parenthesis.)
Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Scones Yield 8 scones
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces and kept very cold
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used a 60% cocoa dark chocolate bar that I cut into chunks and slivers)
1/2 cup cold buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla (I used 1 1/2 tsp of my homemade vanilla)
1 egg, well beaten
Sugar for topping
- Heat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. (I didn’t have parchment paper so I used non-stick spray on a baking sheet.)
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the cold butter and rub it in with your fingers until the butter is in small pieces, no larger than peas. Add the chocolate chips and mix well.
- Pour in the cold buttermilk and vanilla and mix until the liquid is absorbed. The dough will look very dry and shaggy.
- Turn out onto a cutting board and knead the dough three times by pressing the dough into a fat disk, folding the dough in half , turning it 1/4 turn and repeating. Do not over knead.
- Once kneaded press into an 8″ circle and cut the disk into 8 wedges. Places the wedges on the prepared baking sheet and brush with beaten egg. Top each scone with as much sugar as you like.
- Bake the scones for 15-18 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown. Cool ten minutes on the pan before transferring to a wire rack.
- Enjoy warm, or at room temperature.