Squeeze every last ounce out of summer by making my Mango Pineapple Salsa! It’s sweet, spicy and so delicious!
I’m so excited for Fall, but I’m really going to miss the flavors of summer. So this week, I made a big batch of Mango Pineapple Salsa to keep summer going! I got the idea for this salsa from a Mexican restaurant we like to eat at here in Germany. I know that sounds strange… good Mexican food in Germany but this place had a sweet salsa that was made with mangos and I wanted to recreate it at home!
The first time I made it, I only used 1 mango and half a pineapple and the salsa was gone in one day. Yeah… I ate it all and was stingy about it too. I had no intention of sharing with my kids or my husband. Ha! My son loved it so much that I knew I needed to make it again so he could enjoy it. I doubled the batch this week and shared it with everyone!
I used my Nicer Dicer to chop all the fruit and veggies so the salsa came together in about 10 minutes! If you don’t have a Nicer Dicer, you really shoudl get one… it’s perfect for chopping and dicing, especially when you have a lot to do!
I love this sweet salsa so much, that I found myself eating it straight from the bowl. I mean, chips were good too but the flavors in this salsa are the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. I love it. And I don’t feel guilty at all about eating this salsa because there is nothing in it that’s bad for you. Fruit and veggies. Can’t get better than that!
As I was trying to decide who I was going to photograph the salsa I brainstormed different ways it could be served. I scanned my cabinets for props and came up with the idea to serve the salsa in a mason jar. I also had a metal round tray and thought the two would work perfectly together. I filled the mason jar with salsa, set it int he center of the tray with a serving spoon and surrounded it with chips. Perfect!
So don’t rush into Fall too quickly, there’s still a few days left of summer and you should definitely treat your family to this delicious and healthy salsa!
Wanna know more about my Nicer Dicer? You can buy one here!
- 2 large mangoes
- 1 large pineapple
- 1 medium/large red onion
- 2 bunches of cilantro
- 1-3 medium jalapenos
- 2 limes
- Peel the mangoes. Cut the flesh of the mango away from the seed in the center in large pieces. Dice the large pieces of mango into small chunks. To do this quickly, I used a Nicer Dicer using the smallest square blades to dice them into small, even pieces. Put the diced mango in a large bowl and sprinkle with 2-3 Tbsp of sugar.
- Peel and core the pineapple. Dice the pineapple flesh into the same size chunks as the mango. I also used the same Nicer Dicer chopper for the pineapple. Add the pineapple to the mangoes and toss to combine.
- Peel the skin off the red onion then dice it into small squares. Again, I used the Nicer Dicer for this step. Add the onions to the fruit.
- Depending on how spicy you want your salsa deseed the number of jalapenos you want to use. For less spicy, only use one jalapeno. For more spicy, use three. After the jalapenos are deseeded, dice them finely. I did this by hand because I wanted a finer dice. Add it to the bowl and toss it all together.
- Zest and juice the limes and pour it over the salsa then toss together.
- Remove the stems from the bunches of cilantro then chop the leaves. Add this to the salsa and toss together.
- Sprinkle 2-3 Tbsp of sugar over the salsa.
- Salt and pepper to taste (I didn't measure this, but I was generous). Toss the salsa together again.
- Taste the salsa. If you think it needs to be sweeter, add more sugar. If it needs more seasoning, add more salt/pepper. There is really no wrong way. What tastes good to you is how you should make it!
- Store in an air tight container for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.