We are in the height of asparagus season here in Germany and I had to take advantage of all the beautiful, green, delicious fresh asparagus at the market by making a Asparagus Bacon Quiche!
A few weeks ago, I hosted a “My Favorite Things” party where 12 of my closest friends and Army family came over for breakfast, mimosas and a little spoiling. I knew I wanted to serve them something that I could make ahead of time since it was a morning party so I chose quiche!
I whipped up my Southwestern Fajita Quiche and tried out this recipe for Asparagus Bacon Quiche. Both were made the day before the party and refrigerated over night. I brought the quiche to room temperature before serving and they were perfect for this brunch!
Unfortunately, since I was serving this quiche at a party, I didn’t have a chance to cut into it and show you the inside of the quiche. Trust me when I say that it is out of this world amazing. Full of whipped eggs, fresh asparagus, mushrooms, peppers, thick cut bacon and cheese… my Asparagus Bacon Quiche is a guaranteed winner!
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 6 strips of thick cut bacon, cut into bite size chunks (I used thick, pork belly bacon from the deli)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2lb fresh green asparagus
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 green onions or scallions, diced
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms (I used canned)
- 1 1/2 cup white cheese, shredded (I used German butterkase, but you can use any soft white cheese)
- Preheat your oven to 375F degrees. Spray the bottom of a 28cm tart pan with cooking spray. Lay the prepared pie crust in the pan and press into the bottom and sides. Cut off any extra crust on the top edges. Place the prepared pan on a baking sheet and set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Once boiling add the cleaned and trimmed asparagus into the post and boil for 1 minute. Remove immediately and run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment, whisk the eggs and the heavy cream together for 3-4 minutes on medium-high speed. Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon chunks until browned on all sides. Remove to a paper towel to drain and reserve the grease in the pan. Set aside a few pieces for garnish later.
- Add the bell peppers and toss them in the oil, cooking until just softened. Mix in the chopped scallions and mushrooms and toss together.
- Set aside 5-6 stalks of asparagus and cut the remaining into 1 inch pieces. Add this and the bacon to the pan and toss together. Salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat.
- Spread this mixture evenly across the bottom of the pie crust in the prepared pan. Pour the whipped eggs about 3/4 of way to the top. Sprinkle over the cheese and gently mix in with a spoon so it's not just laying on the top. Pour in the remaining egg mixture until it reaches the top of the crust. Place the reserved asparagus and bacon across the top.
- Bake on the baking sheet for 50-70 minutes or until the top is golden brown and is solid through the middle.
- Cool for 20 minute and serve immediately or chill over night and serve cold the next day.
Adapted from Lady Behind the Curtain.