ice cream paired with rich, dark roast coffee topped with freshly whipped espresso cream, ground espresso beans and a waffle cone wafer! It’s one of my favorite European treats!
Sign up for my newsletter and never miss another recipe or post… sign up here!
If you follow me on Instagram, you may have noticed a lot of ice cream pictures. You see, living in Germany I’m surrounded by Mom & Pop ice cream shops and one of the best is in the town I live in.
I was recently invited to tour the kitchen of a local Italian gelato cafe, Pinguino Eis, where I was shown the ins and outs of making authentic Italian gelato. It was a once in a lifetime experience that has inspired me to use gelato in my baking and recipe! You might remember the Snickerdoole Ice Cream Sandwiches earlier this summer that I made using cinnamon gelato from Pinguino Eis. So good!
So with summer winding down, I knew that I needed to share just one more ice cream treat with you before the weather turned too cold.
One of my favorite treats here in Europe is a drink actually. Ice cream layer with coffee, whipped cream and a wafer cookie. Simple, yet so creamy, full of coffee flavor and let’s not forget to mention super delicious! In Germany this dessert is called Eiskaffe or Ice Cream Coffee literally translated.
For this Eiskaffe, I began with a dark roasted brewed coffee. You could use espresso too if you like it more than coffee, but you’ll need a lot of it! I opted for husbands favorite Caribou coffee. When you make this, just use what you enjoy!
Next, is the most important part of this dessert… the ice cream! Since I’m in Germany, I have easy access to freshly made gelato and my friends at Pinguino Eis provided a big bowl of their Vanilla Gourmet Eis for me. This vanilla gelato is rich, creamy and so smooth in texture. It has amazing vanilla flavor and is perfect for this dessert.
Finally, I topped the drink with a whipped cream that I infused with espresso, ground espresso beans and a round waffle wafer cookie. Granted, these things are optional, but they absolutely complete the drink! The whipped cream gives the coffee and gelato even more smooth and creaminess and the waffle cook a little crunch! So good!
Typically, this drink is served with a long spoon and a straw. There are several scoops of gelato in it, so eating the ice cream before it melts all the way is my favorite way to enjoy this Eiskaffe!
So if you love coffee and vanilla ice cream… you definitely need to try this decadently delicious Eiskaffe!
- 2 scoops of high quality vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup cold coffee, the stronger the better
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 1/8 tsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Waffle cone wafers (optional), for garnish
- Ground espresso beans (optional), for garnish
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the espresso powder, vanilla extract and cold heavy cream.
- Whip them together on high speed with the whisk attachment until it begins to thicken.
- Slowly add the granulated sugar and continue whipping until stiff peaks form. Do not over whip or the cream will separate.
- Scoop two scoops of vanilla ice cream into a tall glass.
- Slowly pour over the cold coffee leaving 1/2in of room at the top.
- Dollop the espresso whipped cream on top and sprinkle with ground espresso beans. Garnish with a waffle cone wafer.
- Serve immediately with straws and a spoon.