My first free printable for you is a Welcome Home Cake Bunting! YAY! Yesterday, my neighbor returned home from a 9 month deployment to Afghanistan. There is nothing I love more than to see one of my friends be reunited with their family. So when Violeta asked me to make a welcome home cake for Chris, I jumped on the chance! I’ll be writing about the cake in another post… so stay tuned for that soon!
Violeta had asked me to write “Welcome Home” on the cake… but I thought I needed to do better than that. (Wait, who am I kidding? I can’t write on cakes. I suck at it. HAHA) So, I decided I would make a banner for the cake. At first, I wanted a ribbon banner, but couldn’t find a design I liked. In the end, I decided on a simple, triangle shaped red, white and blue bunting. I used two paper straws with red and blue stars on them and string to assemble it all together. Super easy!
- 1 piece of white paper
- string (I used white, but you can use any color you want)
- glue stick
- 2 paper straws
- 2 bamboo skewers
- Print the .pdf file linked below
- Cut out each triangle flag and fold in half. Trim off any edges that don’t line up.
- Cut two 15 inch pieces of string.
- String the “welcome” flags onto the first piece of string. Glue each flag closed – do not glue the string down, you want to be able to adjust the position of each flag once the bunting is hung. Repeat with the “home!” flags on the second piece of string.
- Tie the “welcome” string to the top of the paper straw. Tie the “home!” string about 1in below. Adjust the flags until you get them into a position you like. Trim any extra string that is hanging.
- Position the paper straws in the cake so that they are slightly at and angle. You want the tops of the straws to be closer to the edge of the cake and the bottoms a little further in. This will help the flags hang better since welcome is longer than home. (See picture) Don’t press them in further than about 1/2-1in into the cake.
- Place a bamboo skewer into each straw and press it down to the bottom of the cake. This will help hold the straw in position.
Welcome Home SSG Reese!