I took a basic cinnamon roll recipe, rolled them small and baked them in cupcake liners then topped them with a basic frosting. Fresh from the oven or warmed up 3 days later, these cinnamon rolls will be a delicious delight for your belly!
Makes about 24 cupcake rolls
2 1/4 tsp. or 1 packet dry active yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup warm milk (approximately 110 degrees Fahrenheit)
2 eggs, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 tsp. salt
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup sugar
3-4 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm milk in a large bowl and let stand for about 10 minutes until foamy.
- In the same bowl, whisk in the eggs, butter, salt, and sugar. Add flour and mix until well blended and the dough forms a ball.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 5-10 times. Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about one hour).
- After the dough has doubled in size, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Line cupcake pan with cupcake liners, and lightly spray over the top of them with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Roll dough into a large rectangle (approx 12×24) or 1/8in thick on a lightly floured surface.
- This is where it gets fun. Smear butter over dough then sprinkle the sugars and cinnamon over the top. Using your fingers, work the sugars and butter together creating a paste like spread. Make sure it’s spread evenly over the dough.
- Roll up dough and cut into at least 24 rolls. I unrolled each one and rerolled it tighter so it would fit nicely into the cupcake pan. Place each roll in a cupcake liner.
- Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake rolls until golden brown, about 10-12 minutes. Let rolls cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool another 10 minutes.
- Frost cupcakes while they are still slightly warm. You’ll want the icing to ooze into the cupcake but not drip off the size.
4 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 to 6 tbsp hot water
- In a stand mixer, cream the butter.
- Add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time and beat until smooth. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Add the hot water 1 tbsp at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Spread 1-2 tbsp on slightly warm cinnamon rolls.