This weekend was Easter and I was a baking fool! I made two bunny cakes and three dozen cupcakes! Yummm-0! The cupcakes I made were a White Butter cupcake with a classic Vanilla Buttercream frosting. Delish!
White Butter Cupcakes
Adapted from the Joy of Baking
3 ½ cups sifted cake flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 cups granulated white sugar, divided
½ cup HOT water
4 large eggs, separated
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup milk
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with liners.
2) While eggs are still cold separate the eggs, placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another bowl. Cover the two bowls with plastic wrap and allow the eggs to come to room temperature before using (about 30 minutes).
3) In a mixing bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
4) In bowl of electric mixer, beat the butter until soft (about 1-2 minutes). Add 1 ½ cups of the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes). Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
5) With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and milk, in three additions, beginning and ending with the flour.
6) Add the hot water and mix just until incorporated.
7) In a clean bowl of your electric mixer, with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining ½ cup of sugar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form. With a rubber spatula gently fold a little of the whites into the batter to lighten it, and then fold in the remaining whites until combined. Do not over mix the batter or it will deflate.
8) Using an ice cream scoop, fill cupcake liners ½ full.
9) Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
10) Cool the cupcakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing and cooling completely on the wire rack.
2 sticks (1 cup) room temperature unsalted butter
2lbs or 8 cups of sifted powdered sugar
2 tsp of pure vanilla
½ cup of milk
1) In an electric mixer on medium-high, cream butter until smooth.
2) Mix the vanilla and milk together in a measuring cup and set aside.
3) Add sifted sugar 1 cup at a time, beating until smooth after each cup.
4) Between each cup of sugar, add the milk/vanilla mixture, making sure to end with powdered sugar.
5) Beat on high for 5 minutes or until light, fluffy and smooth.
6) Frost cupcakes using Wilton #6B star tip and decorate anyway you want!!