Fresh peaches and raspberries seasoned with cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg covered in a simple batter baked then topped with vanilla ice cream make this Fresh Raspberry Peach Cobbler the perfect summer dessert!
I have spent the last four 4th of July’s in Germany celebrating with the Americans here on the military base. This year, I decided to invite my ex-pat friend and his fiance who is German along with his daughter who is also German to our home to experience a traditional Independence Day celebration!
We served bbq chicken, brats, hot dogs with all the trimmings, taco dip, veggie tray, broccoli salad, baked beans and all kinds of American soda, chips and munchies! For dessert, I wanted to make something traditionally American and in season, but something that would be easy to whip up the day before the party.I decided on this Fresh Raspberry Peach Cobbler! My German friends went crazy over it! I mean really, you can’t go wrong with fresh berries baked with sugar and spices can you?
This cobbler starts with melted butter in the bottom of the pan. Strange, yes? But effective… absolutely! On top of the butter the batter is poured evenly, but without mixing it all together. Finally the fresh peaches, sliced with or without the skins, and fresh raspberries are spooned over the top of everything. Again, yes it’s strange but it the end the batter bakes up into the berries and you’re left with this amazing cobbler!
I paired the Fresh Raspberry Peach Cobbler with a dollop of vanilla bean ice cream. The creaminess of the ice cream with the sweet tartness of the fruit is a delightful combination!
So simple. So delicious. So perfect for an Independence Day celebration!
- 12Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup milk
- 6 large peaches, sliced (skins on or off – your preference)
- 3-4 cups fresh raspberries
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees and lightly spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the sliced peaches, sugars, cinnamon, nutmeg, and extracts. Fold with a spatula until well combined. Add the raspberries and gently fold to combine and coat with juices being careful not to smash the berries.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, cream and milk and whisk until smooth.
- Melt the butter and pour it into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Pour the batter over the butter. DO NOT MIX together, simply pour the batter over the top and let the butter seep up into the batter.
- Gently scoop the fruit mixture evenly over the batter. Again, DO NOT MIX TOGETHER.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes before serving.