Living here in Germany, I don’t get the opportunity to eat very many cake donuts. Last week, the commissary bakery was selling a glazed chocolate cake donut that was pretty yummy. And now… I can’t get them off my mind.
So my cake donut obsession and my current peppermint obsession came together today to make my first peppermint recipe of the season! Baked glazed peppermint dark chocolate cake donuts! NOM!
The recipe is a simple one. Two bowls, one whisk and just a little bit of mixing are necessary to make a thick, fudge brownie type batter that will get piped into a donut pan and baked to puffy, cakey perfection.
Instead of a typical glaze, I wanted a thicker frosting. So, I made my vanilla buttercream and made it a little smoother than I would if I were frosting a cupcake by adding more heavy cream. After frosting each donut, I topped them with crushed peppermint candy canes! YUMMM!
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp peppermint extract
- 3-4 Tbsp heavy cream
- Crushed peppermint candy canes or peppermint sprinkles for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. Spray donut pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients... flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa. Make sure there are no sugar clumps remaining.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and extracts.
- Make a well in the flour mixture. Slowly pour in the wet ingredients and begin to whisk. Whisk until smooth, about 15 strokes.
- Spoon batter into a piping bag (you can use a ziploc bag too). Squeeze batter into donut pan filling about ⅔ full.
- Bake full size donuts for 12-14 minutes. Bake mini donuts for 9-11 minutes. The donuts will be done when you gently press down on them and they spring back.
- Cool in pans for about 3-5 minutes then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
- Beat together the sugar and butter until smooth. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Add the heavy cream slowly until you get your desired consistency. I like my frosting smooth, creamy and spreadable
- Spread frosting onto each donut. Sprinkle crushed candy canes or sprinkles on top.