Homemade Honey-Roasted Peanut Butter

| peanut butter, recipes

I’ve never thought to make my own peanut butter before… but leave it to Pinterest to give me inspiration this morning to try it!  Once I saw this recipe by the Sugar Plum Blog for homemade peanut butter and how simple it was… I had no reason not to try it myself!

With just a few ingredients… I already had everything I needed in my pantry to whip up a batch of peanut butter!

I couldn’t help myself after I finished making this batch… I had to slather some on a piece of bread and devour it.  Smooth, creamy, rich, full of peanut flavor! SO GOOD!

Run to the store if you don’t have all of these ingredients and whip up a batch for yourself… you seriously won’t regret it.

Homemade Honey-Roasted Peanut Butter
Makes 4 cups of peanut butter

6 cups dry roasted peanuts in sea salt
12 tbsp canola oil
8 tbsp sugar
scant 1/4 cup honey

1. Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.  Place peanuts on a cookie sheet and roast for at least 10 minutes.  You want the oils to begin releasing in the nuts and for them to brown slightly.
  2. In your food processor, place the roasted nuts and blend on low speed for 30 seconds.  Turn speed to high and blend another 30 seconds.
  3. Add the sugar and 10 tbsp of the oil and blend on high for 1 minute.
  4. Add the honey and blend on high for 1 minute.
  5. If at this point the mixture seems really thick, like a paste, add the remaining 2 tbsp oil and blend for 1 more minute.
  6. Now, if you like your peanut butter chunkier, thicker… leave it like it is.  If you want a smoother, creamier peanut butter then turn on the food processor on high and go read a magazine for the next 4-5 minutes.  Come back and you’ll have super smooth, creamy, rich peanut butter!
  7. Store in a jar with a lid for easy access!

12 Comments on Homemade Honey-Roasted Peanut Butter

1. Michelle
    December 27, 2011 at 8:11 am (3 years ago)

Awesome.. you are the best in the whole world… you always share the very most wonderful recipes! I can’t wait to try this.. I can add stevia instead of sugar and that way I can still have a little bit in the mornings :)

December 27, 2011 at 10:34 am (3 years ago)

Absolutely! I even saw some recipes that didn’t have sugar in it at all…. but I like my peanut butter a little sweeter! xoxoxo

2. Gigi Cuccaro
    December 27, 2011 at 3:26 pm (3 years ago)

Wow, what an easy recipe. With peanut butter prices going up, what a great way to save money! Can’t wait to try this. What is the shelf life?

December 27, 2011 at 4:21 pm (3 years ago)

I’m not sure what the shelf life is…. it’s just peanuts. This is my first time making it… I doubt it will last longer than a week or two in my house!!! I’ll let you know if it goes bad before then.

3. Katrina Ayres
    December 30, 2011 at 10:51 pm (3 years ago)

OMG GIRL!! You just brought back old childhood memories. My Mom use to make homemade peanut butter for us since I wouldn’t eat any of the store bought brands!! I’m totally going to have to start making it for Lily!!! Miss ya!

December 31, 2011 at 9:30 am (3 years ago)

Yay! This recipe is so yummy! Emily LOVES IT! I think next time though, I’ll use less sugar… it’s really super sweet! I like it… but less sugar is always better!

Miss you and your adorable Lily too!! xoxoxo

4. april
    August 26, 2013 at 9:54 pm (1 year ago)

Can I use a blender if I do not have a food processor

5. Cayla
    November 16, 2013 at 10:50 pm (9 months ago)

I don’t know much about all the different oils, what’s healthiest or worse for you. Will this work with any kind of oil? Is there a reason you chose canola?

November 17, 2013 at 1:22 pm (9 months ago)

You could use vegetable oil or peanut oil. Canola is what I had on hand in my kitchen.

3Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Homemade Honey-Roasted Peanut Butter

1. [...] 1/2 cup unsalted butter 2 cups light brown sugar, lightly packed 1/2 cup homemade peanut butter (see my recipe!) [...]

2. [...] cup homemade peanut butter 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 cup brown sugar, loosely packed 1 egg 1/2 tsp vanilla 1/2 cup flour 1 tsp baking [...]

3. […] Perfect Peanut Butter Buttercream Peanut Butter Cups Peanut Butter Cheese Ball Homemade Honey-Roasted Peanut Butter Peanut Butter Sauce Banana Peanut Butter Bites Peanut Butter Pretzels Banana Whoopie Pies with […]