The only change I made was I added 1/2 cup of applesause to the batter to ensure moistness!! I also topped mine with yellow sugar crystals and a lemon drop hard candy! They turned out so great!!
Here is her recipe:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
2 Tbsp. lemon zest
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce*
1. Preheat oven to 325° degrees.
2. Line cupcake pan with mini baking cups. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 4 minutes.
4. Add the eggs, one at a time until the mixture becomes creamy.
5. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda and salt together. Whisk to combine.
6. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk until completely incorporated.
7. Add the applesauce*, lemon zest and fresh lemon juice. Mix batter for an additional minute. Mixture should look light and fluffy.
8. Divide the batter among the cupcake liners and bake for 17 to 23 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. VERY IMPORTANT to allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Lemon Kissed Buttercream Frosting
4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
2 3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. whole milk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. With an electric mixer, cream the butter and salt for about 30 seconds.
2. Add half of the powdered sugar and the milk to the butter and beat again until combined. Scrape down the bowl.
3. Add the remainder of the powdered sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice. Beat until combined. Scrape down the bowl again.
5. Beat on high speed for 5-6 minutes or until the frosting is fluffy. Add Wilton gel “Yellow” in small amount to achieve desired pastel color.
6. It is preferable to use the frosting on the same day you make it, but it can keep in the refrigerator for 3 days if tightly wrapped. Make sure and stir the buttercream well before using to get the air bubbles out of the frosting and then pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes.
*My addition to the recipe.