Don’t be fooled, these aren’t your average red velvet cupcakes. These Red Velvet Oreo Cupcakes are made with an entire pack of Red Velvet Oreo Cookies and topped with a decadent cream cheese frosting. The ultimate in red velvet goodness!
Earlier this week, I shared the recipe for the pipeable cream cheese frosting that top these cupcakes. I knew that I had stumbled upon something amazing with that frosting so I wanted to share it separately from the cupcake recipe.
These Red Velvet Oreo Cupcakes begin with a traditional red velvet cake base but are brought to the next level with the addition of red velvet Oreo cookies!
If you love Oreos and you love red velvet cake, then this cupcake is for you! Seriously… it’s so good. I am not a red velvet fan or a cream cheese frosting fan. However, these two together in one cupcake was something special. Seriously special.
Emily asked if I’d make it for her birthday… in December! Ha!
The cupcake liners are Gold Bake Bright liners from Sweets & Treats Boutique. Don’t they look amazing on these cupcakes? When I moved from Germany to Virginia, I reorganized my entire baking cabinet and tossed out all the liners that weren’t from STB! I love them THAT much!
Red Velvet Oreo Cupcakes
- 1 package of Red Velvet Oreo Cookies
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp red gel food coloring
Pipeable Cream Cheese Frosting
- Frosting Recipe & Instructions
- Red Velvet Oreos
- Gold sugar pears
Red Velvet Oreo Cupcakes
- Preheat your oven to 350F degrees and line a cupcake pan with Bake Bright cupcake liners from Sweets & Treats Boutique.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the egg, sugar, buttermilk, oil, yogurt and vanilla until smooth.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add it to the wet and mix only until just combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl and fold 3-5 times to ensure everything is incorporated.
- Chop 2/3 of the Red Velvet Oreos (2 of the 3 rows) into small chunks (I quartered them). Fold the chunks and all the crumbs into the batter.
- Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full with batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until the tops of the cupcakes are firm and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for at least 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Pipeable Cream Cheese Frosting & Assembly
- Prepare the frosting following these instructions.
- Using a Wilton 1M tip fitted on a piping bag, pipe swirls of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Cut an Oreo in half and place on top of the frosting.
- Garnish with gold sugar pears.