Before I go on… if you’re here for the GIVEAWAY scroll to the bottom for all the details!
I reached out to Beanilla a couple months ago and expressed to them how much I loved their beans and would love to partner with them for a post on JavaCucpake! I have been using their beans in my homemade vanilla extracts as well as in all my vanilla recipes. Every time I split open a Madagascar vanilla bean the aroma fills my kitchen and I go to my happy place!
Since I make all my extract in bulk, Beanilla and I decided that I’d create for you a “How to Make Homemade Vanilla Extract in Bulk” tutorial for you. This tutorial will feature three distinct Beanilla beans paired with three different liquors.
I really hope you are able to get a lot of helpful information from this tutorial! Vanilla extract is super simple to make and it really is so amazing in place of store bought extract. Once you start making it yourself, you’ll never go back to imitation!
The Video Tutorial
I created two video tutorials to help you make homemade vanilla extract. This first video below is longer with more details about the beans and alcohol I used. The video at the bottom of this post has been edited to only include the specifics of making the extract.
- Madagascar vanilla beans and vanilla vodka extract – Creamy, strong, full, rich vanilla beans paired with a smooth vanilla vodka make for the ultimately perfect vanilla extract for baking
- Indonesian vanilla beans and honey bourbon whiskey extract – Floral, sweet, delicate beans with tones of fruit paired with a honey infused sweet bourbon whiskey create a simply sweet vanilla extract for desserts with deep flavors
- Ugandan vanilla beans and spiced rum extract – Strong, creamy, rich tones of chocolate and caramel beans paired with a caramel spiced rum produce a bold vanilla extract strong enough to hold up to any chocolate recipe.
- 15 Beanilla Madagascar Vanilla Beans
- 15 Beanilla Indonesian Vanilla Beans
- 15 Beanilla Ugandan Vanilla Beans
- 17oz Vanilla Vodka – minimum 35% alcohol/70 proof
- 17oz Honey Bourbon Whiskey – minimum 35% alcohol/70 proof
- 17oz Spiced Rum – minimum 35% alcohol/70 proof
- 3 17oz Beanilla glass jars with cork lids
- Paring knife with flat edge
- Pouring cup or funnel
- Labels and or tape to mark the date
- Start with one type of beans and the alcohol paired with it. Prepare those vanilla beans by using the straight edge of the paring knife and pressing the vanilla pod flat evenly distributing the beans inside the pod. Split the pod in half the long way. Repeat until all the beans are split.
- Place the beans into the clean, dry glass jar and pour the alcohol until it reaches the neck of the bottle. Place the cork on top and shake gently.
- Add a label to the jar noting the date you made the extract.
- Store the jar in a cool place away from direct sunlight for a minimum of one month up to four months.
- Repeat this process with the two other types of beans and their corresponding alcohols.
- Download these bottle labels made exclusively for JavaCupcake readers by Rachel of Glitter & Bow.
- Print the labels on sticker labels and adhere them to each bottle.
- Write in the type of extract you made along with the date made and when it will be ready to use.
- Alternately, you can print the labels on regular paper and use double sided tape to adhere them to the bottles.
Thanks to Beanilla, I’ve also got a custom designed Vanilla Extract Kit exclusively for one of my JavaCupcake readers!
One person will win:
- 25 Madagascar Vanilla Beans
- 1 17oz glass jar with cork lid
- 1 32oz vanilla bean glass storage jar
- 4 8oz cobalt blue Boston round glass jars
You must be 18 years old to enter and have a USA or Germany mailing address. One person will be chosen by random on Monday, December 1, 2014. Total value of this package: $100