Everyone loves an Oreo! Or at least, I think everyone does. If you don’t, I’m not sure that we can be friends!? Lol, they’re fun & tasty and milk’s best friend, right??
Today was my god-son’s 4th birthday party. He asked for cupcakes :) Cupcakes, I can do! Oreo cupcakes in particular. I’ve tried out a few different Oreo cupcake recipes (because Oreo’s are also the boy & both brother’s fav cookie) and I always come back to this one. If you’re looking for something a little more grown up, I’ve made these via Martha Stewart’s Cupcake Book, which are ah-ma-zing, but I wanted to stick with something sweet and sensible for a 4 year old.
These cupcakes are perfection. They have the cream side attached Oreo at the bottom (double yumm), which is a nice surprise, Oreo chunks in the batter and a little sprinkling of Oreo crumbs over the cream cheese frosting. Everyone loved them. That’s an understatement, folks who don’t like sweets loved them. I think it has something to do with the oreo-goodness in each bite ;)
Cookies ‘n’ Cream Cupcakes: (Recipe Source: Annie’s Eats)
- 24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 large egg whites, at room temperature (*eggs are easier to separate when they’re still cold, so I do this 1st)
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups coarsely chopped Oreos (I used mini Oreos that were quartered)
Yield: 2 dozen
- * Separate your eggs and leave the egg whites aside until you’re ready to use them (by the time you get to that point they should at room temperature already)
- Preheat your oven to 350F and line 2 muffin pans with 24 cupcake liners. Place an oreo at the bottom of each liner, with the cream side up.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and mix to combine.
- Cream together butter and sugar in a standing bowl mixer with the paddle attachment for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, and mix until incorporated. Add the vanilla extract and mix for 1 minute.
- Alternate adding the flour and the milk to the batter, starting and ending with the flour.
- Fold in the Oreos, be careful not to overmix.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow cupcakes to cool, on a cooling rack before frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temperature
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter cut into pieces, room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- heavy cream, as needed to achieve your desired consistency
- Oreo crumbs, for dusting
- Cream the butter and cream cheese in a standing bowl with the paddle attachment for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Slowly add the confectioners sugar to the bowl until it is well incorporated.
- Add small amounts heavy cream (start with 1 tbsp), if needed.
- Pipe with a large pastry tip.
- Dust with oreo crumbs.
I hope you enjoy! ;) Have a great Monday!