Celebrate Mexico and their amazing hertiage with a little spice and a lot of chocoalte and these sooo yummy Mexican Hot Chocolate cupcakes!
So what makes these chocolate beauties Mexican? Well my friends, have you ever had Mexican Hot Chocolate? It’s rich, smooth and has a hint (well maybe more than a hint) of heat!! And that heat my friends comes from CHILI!!! No…. not the kind with meat and beans, but the kind of pepper that SPICY and HOT! These cupcakes are made with a dark chili chocolate and some heat… chili powder!
Now, because I love me some marshmallows in my hot chocolate, I topped these with toasted marshmallows. Originally I wanted to make a whipped cream frosting, but I still don’t have all my household goods yet and didn’t have the tools I needed (candy thermometer)….. so next time, I’ll definitely top these with marshmallow frosting!
These cakes aren’t really spicy, but you can definitely taste the heat from the chili. If you want a spicier cupcake, consider filling it with a chili cream or a fruit seasoned with the hot stuff! Mmm mmm good!
JavaCupcake’s Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Makes approx 30 cupcakes
200g (about 7oz) Chili Dark Chocolate (I used Lindt)
½ cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar (not packed)
2 eggs, room temperature
1 cup buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla
1 ¾ all-purpose cup flour
¾ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon (plus more for dusting)
½ tsp chili powder (plus more for dusting)
1 cup boiling water
1 bag of large marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- Chop chocolate into small chunks and add put them in a medium microwave safe bowl with the oil. Microwave on medium for 20 seconds and then stir. Continue for another 10-20 seconds and stir, repeating until the chocolate is almost all melted. Remove from microwave and stir until all the chocolate has melted. Set aside and let cool.
- Once the chocolate and oil has cooled, move it to the bowl of your stand mixer. Mix in the sugars and beat until incorporated.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until smooth, making sure to stop and scrape the sides of the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, powder, salt, cinnamon and chili powder.
- Add in thirds to wet mixture the flour mixture. Alternate adding the milk and the flour, beginning and ending with the flour. Make sure you only mix until the flour is combined.
- By hand, fold in the boiling water. Mix just until incorporated.
- Fill liners 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for at least 12 minutes, rotate pan 180 degrees, and bake another 6-8 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. You will also notice small air holes in the top of the cupcake when it is done.
- Preheat your oven to broil. Cut 2 marshmallows in half and place on top of each cupcake. Sprinkle with cinnamon and chili powder. Place cupcakes on a cookie sheet in your oven for 3 minutes. It’s best if you put them lower in the oven instead of directly under the heat. You want the marshmallow to melt slightly before it browns on top! Serve immediately if possible.
Tips and Tricks:
- For even baking, make sure you only bake one tray at a time on the center rack of your oven.
- Rotating the pan ensures even baking. Most home ovens bake hotter in the back of the oven, so rotating the pan helps prevent uneven baking. Take care to be gentle with the pans while rotating (so they don’t sink in the middle) and be quick so the oven temperature doesn’t reduce enough to hurt your cupcakes!