One of my resolutions this year was to give up Starbucks… every. single. day. Delicious, but uber expensive. Ask my mint.com account ;) To make things easier we started using our coffee maker in the office and I brought in some fun coffee cups from home…for the most part, this resolution = big time success.
Until last week. Damn those happy hour frappuccinos and the sun being out! It totally broke my will power… mmmmm frappuccinos! So tasty! Yes please to caramel and coffee and javachip. Mmmmmm javachip. I think it’s my fav. Who doesn’t love the coffee flavor with those tiny little chocolate chunks, topped off with whipped cream and then drizzled with chocolate sauce? Well, I guess if you don’t like it I’m not sure if we can be friends. That coffee stuff is serious business around here ;)
So… I was feeling pretty inspired after having a few
too many frappuccinos last week. These cupcakes were pretty phenomenal, if I do say so myself. The only thing I will do differently next time, is drizzle a little bit of chocolate ganache over the buttercream, to really get that frappuccino effect.
I don’t really have a go-to chocolate cake recipe (I know, I know… I should!) BUT I do have a go-to brownie recipe. You all have seen it before… This is the same recipe that I used for the Mini Brownie Cupcakes a while back… it’s my fav. It’s just might be the most requested cupcake in my house… and that’s really saying something since I bake, a lot. I modified the brownie recipe a bit, just by adding a small Starbucks Via packet to the batter to give it a slight espresso flavor and instead of using regular chocolate chips, I used mini chocolate chips in the batter & for the topping… hope you like!
Javachip Brownie Cupcakes (Recipe Adapted from: For the Love of Food)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/4 cups Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 1/4 cups Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbs Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- 1 small Starbucks Via Ready Brew packet (Italian Roast/Extra Bold)
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Line 16 cupcake tins with paper liners.
- In a medium sized bowl melt butter for 30-45 seconds in the microwave. Add the sugar and melt the mixture for another 1-2 minutes, just until it’s hot.
- In a standing bowl mixer crack the eggs, add cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Add Starbucks Via packet and mix until combined.
- Add the butter & sugar mixture to the standing bowl mixer.
- Add flour to the mixture and then combine. Mixture will be thick, but combine until smooth. Add the chocolate chips with a rubber spatula.
- Fill liners with batter, 1 full ice-cream scoop.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
- Let cupcakes cool for a few minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- 16 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 lb. confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 large Starbucks VIA Ready Brew packet (Mocha flavor)
- 5 tbsp. heavy cream (or more to get the consistency you desire)
To make the frosting add the butter to the bowl of an electric mixer. Beat on medium-high speed 1 minute until smooth. Blend in the confectioners’ sugar until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Mix in the vanilla and instant coffee. Add the heavy cream and whip on high speed until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Garnish with a few mini chocolate chips … enjoy!
Happy Wednesday, Javacupcakers!