What’s your favorite drink at Starbucks? I’m a sucker for a good Caramel Macchiato, iced or hot… but stirred, I like it when the milk is mixed together with the coffee… all that caramely goodness with whipped cream=divine. So, when I saw a recipe for Caramel Macchiato cupcakes, well, instant duh. I ABSOLUTELY had to HAVE them in my life. End. Of. Story.
I loved everything about these cupcakes, the flavor, their pretty, little good looks, the light whipped cream frosting and of course, the Starbucks Caramel drizzled all over everything. The cupcakes had a great coffee based flavor and to enhance the caramel flavor, I added some caramel to the batter after it was spooned into the cupcake tins.
These would make a great gift for the Starbucks coffee lover in your life. I brought them to a family bbq and they were a huge hit with everyone! I’m always a happy girl when everyone else is happy with my cupcakes 😉 I hope you enjoy!
Caramel Macchiato Cupcakes (Recipe Adapted From: My Buttery Fingers)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup strongly brewed coffee, cooled to warm
- 1/4 cup milk
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 rounded tsp instant espresso (I used 1 packet of Starbucks Via Caramel Coffee)
- Starbucks Caramel
- Preheat oven to 350 F and line 12 cupcake tins with liners.
- In a medium bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine milk and brewed coffee in a small bowl.
- In a standing bowl mixer cream together butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs 1 at a time until incorporated.
- Reduce speed to low and add 1/2 flour mixture and then 1/2 of the milk mixture. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the remaining flour and milk to the batter and mix until incorporated.
- Add Starbucks Via Caramel coffee packet and mix lightly, just until the coffee is incorporated.
- Spoon in batter and drizzle each cupcake with a little bit of caramel.
- Bake cupcakes for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
The original recipe calls for Kahlua and cacao nibs, I didn’t have either of those things on hand, so I just didn’t use them. They still turned out delicious, but didn’t have such a coffee color to them, if that’s what you’re looking for, then I would suggest getting the cacao nibs… maybe it will help.
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Starbucks Caramel
- In a standing bowl mixer whisk heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Add confectioners sugar to taste (not too sweet) 😉
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Pipe Frosting onto each cupcake
- Drizzle with lots and lots of Starbucks Caramel
This frosting is sooooooooooo good and the perfect pairing for these Starbucks inspired cupcakes. I wouldn’t be a good Pacific NW girl if I wasn’t a Starbucks & coffee fan 😉 Hopefully you like these as much as we did!
Ps: Michaels had a ton of cupcake liners in their $1 bins at the front of the store the last time I was there. It’s a little hard to tell in these pictures but these liners have hot air balloons on them! Soooo cute! I picked up 8 packets that are super fun and each packet has 75 liners and they were only $1.50… my kinda deal!