I love lemon. I love blueberries. Put them together…. you get deliciousness!! For my farewell party a few weeks ago, I wanted to make a variety of finger foods and desserts and I knew these little tartlets would be perfect!
Although these tarts have several steps and take a bit of time…. they make a ton of perfect bite size tartlets for any party! A big THANK YOU to my husband for rolling out the dough and making most of the shells for these! They were a huge hit at our party!
6 pre-made pie shells (3 boxes)
mini cupcake pan
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees.
- Unroll one pie shell at a time. Using a rolling pin, roll out any tears and creases, making the dough slightly thinner and bigger.
- Using a round cutter (I used a cup from my cabinet), cut out dough. Prick each piece of dough several times all over to prevent puffing while baking.
- Repeat until all the dough is cut.
- Place one round into each hole of your mini pan. Make sure to press gently into the pan, you don’t want to stretch the dough.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely before filling.
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 extra-large eggs
3 extra-large egg yolks
1/4 cup lemon zest (approx 6 lemons)
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup (approx) fresh blueberries tossed in 1/2 tbsp sugar
- In the bowl of an electric mixer using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- One at a time, add the eggs and egg yolks, scraping sides and mixing completely after each addition.
- Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, and salt and mix until well incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat for 8 to 10 minutes, until thick, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
- Whisk briskly when it starts to thicken and cook over low heat for 1 to 2 minutes, whisking constantly, making sure it does not boil.
- Pour into cooled tart shells and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, top with 3 fresh blueberries and a dusting of powdered sugar.