It’s back to school time in our house and I wanted to do something special for Emily’s teacher as a way to kick off the school year! I have been craving the scents of Fall so I knew an apple Cupcake would be in order! I found a great recipe by I Heart Cuppycakes and thought I’d give it a whirl! I made a few slight changes and got a super delicious cupcake!
These cupcakes are an apple cupcake with chunks of apple, filled with a homemade caramel then topped with a cream cheese frosting and decorated with sugar crystals, mint and pretzel stick! So cute!
JavaCupcake’s Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Adapted from I Heart Cuppycakes
Makes 16 cupcakes
For apple cupcake
3 medium granny smith apples
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup apple juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1-1/2 tablespoon light corn syrup
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
For cream cheese frosting
8oz cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
green & red sprinkles
To make cupcakes—
- Preheat oven 350F.
- Rinse, cut in half and core the apples. Place them on an ovenproof pan or baking sheet and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Bake for 35-45 minutes until soft.
- Remove the apples from the oven, let cool slightly, then remove peel and mush the apple with the back of a fork. Measure out 1 cup of apple mush and set aside to cool.
- Combine flour, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized bowl and whisk to combine.
- In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together the eggs, oil, and vanilla. Add the cooled apple mush and mix just to combine.
- Add the flour and apple juice in three parts, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX!
- Scoop into cupcake papers about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotate pan 180 degrees, then bake 3-5 more minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
To make caramel—
- Measure sugar, water and corn syrup in a large pot and stir just to combine ingredients.
- Turn to medium-high heat and without stirring, bring sugar mixture to a boil. Boil 10-15 minutes until sugar turns an amber color.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter with a whisk. Be careful, it’s HOT and the caramel will bubble!
- Wait about 30 seconds and slowly stir in the heavy crème.
- Scrape sides of pan and mix until thoroughly combined. Pour into a heat safe glass bowl/measuring cup to cool.
To make frosting—
- In an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Add vanilla and mix to incorporate.
- One cup at a time, add the powdered sugar mixing after each. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
To assemble cupcakes—
- Fill cupcakes with caramel using this method.
- Top the cupcake with frosting in a rounded shape.
- Roll cupcake in green sprinkles to cover the frosting.
- Break off pretzel and stick into the top to resemble a stem. Insert a mint “leaf” in the frosting near the stem.
Friday 10th of September 2010
The caramel inside is the best part! I love cupcakes with something in the middle. I just posted pictures of similar cupcakes. My friend used red cupcake liners to make the whole cupcake look like an apple. Delicious!