Some people call it Puppy Chow and other’s call them Muddy Buddies. No matter the name, these Marshmallow Muddy Buddies are overflowing with sweet marshmallow flavor, chocolate and of course peanut butter!
These super fun, colorful Marshmallow Muddy Buddies are my take on the classic cereal treat. Most people know of this treat as Puppy Chow or Muddy Buddies… but it doesn’t matter what you call it, it’s delicious! Crispy cereal covered in melted peanut butter and chocolate covered in powdered sugar… you just can’t go wrong with that combo!
I begin with the base of Chex cereal but instead of using the traditional rice or corn Chex, I kick it up a notch by using a mix of Vanilla and Chocolate Chex. Yum!
The traditional peanut butter is substituted with Mrs. Miller’s Peanut Butter Marshmallow Spread. I had never even heard of this before 3 months ago when I went to visit my in-laws in Pennsylvania. My mother-in-law said she buys a jar of this heavenly spread every few months and enjoys a spoon full with crackers, veggies or just by itself! It’s her guilty pleasure!
When I saw the jar in her kitchen, all I could think about was all of the things I could make with it. Cupcakes, frosting, and these Marshmallow Muddy Buddies were my first ideas!
Any candy could be added to this snack, it doesn’t have to be Crispy M&M’s. However, I really liked the smaller size of these chocolates and I love adding a pop of color to a fairly boring looking snack.
My favorite part of these Marshmallow Muddy Buddies… the giant clusters of cereal covered in chocolate and powdered sugar. If you’ve had this snack before you know what I’m referring to! Ohhhh yeah… so much chocolate and it’s so good!
What’s your favorite way to make Muddy Buddies?
- 5 cups Chocolate Chex cereal
- 5 cups Vanilla Chex cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup Mrs. Millers Peanut Butter Marshmallow Spread
- 1/4 cup cream peanut butter
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 9.9oz bag Crispy M&Ms
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 large ziploc gallon size bags
- In a large bowl, combine the vanilla & chocolate chex and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan over low heat, combine and melt together the chocolate, peanut butters, butter and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Pour the mixture evenly over the cereal. Using a rubber spatula to cover the cereal completely with the chocolate mix.
- Add 3/4 cup of powdered sugar along with half of the cereal mix into each bag. Seal the bags closed then shake, shake, shake, shake! Shake those badboys until the cereal is completely covered in powdered sugar.
- Line a large baking sheet with wax paper and spread the cereal evenly across the sheet. Allow to cool for 1 hour until the chocolate is set.
- Pour the cereal back into the large bowl. Add the marshmallows and M&M's and mix gently to incorporate.
- Store in an air tight container.