These red currant cookie slices are the perfect food to enjoy with your morning coffee or afternoon tea! Made with a simple cookie dough and tart red currant jam, they’re then glazed with a sweet icing for an extra special treat. So good, you won’t be able to resist having just one (or two)!
Last week began #RedCurrantWeek and I had initially planned to share one new red currant recipe with you every day. But life happened, I got busy getting my daughter to start high school this week that I just ran out of time! Yikes! So today, now that my beautiful daughter is off to her first day of her freshman year… I have a little bit of time to catch up on recipes for you!
These Red Currant Cookie Slices begin with a simple sugar cookie dough that I’ve spiced up with a dash of nutmeg. If you don’t like nutmeg you could certainly omit it or substitute it for cinnamon but, I think it adds a little something extra to the cookie.
The center of the cookie is filled with a homemade Red Currant Jam that I made a few days before these cookies. The jam is a very simple recipe and pairs perfectly with the dough for these cookies. Of course, if you don’t have time to make your own jam, simply fill these cookies with your favorite store bought red currant jam or any flavor jam!
To add another layer of texture and flavor, I decided to make a lemon glaze for the top of the cookies instead of a plain or vanilla glaze. The acidity of the lemon really adds another dimension of flavor to the cookies that makes the red currant flavor just explode in your mouth with each bite!
A quick note about assembly for these cookies: Make sure not to press the well too deep into the dough before adding the jam. They are very delicate and need a thick layer of cookie under the jam in order to keep their shape.
Check out the other #RedCurrantWeek posts here:
- 250g unsalted butter, room temperature
- 150g granulated sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs, large
- 390g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups red currant jam from this recipe
- 150g powdered sugar, sifted
- 1Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. In two parts, add this to the mixing bowl. Mix until combined making sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure everything has been incorporated.
- Separate the dough into four equal parts. Flatten each section into a rectangle about 1/2-3/4in thick. Place two flattened pieces of dough on each baking sheet.
- Press a well into the center of the dough lengthwise. Spread the red currant jam in that well.
- Bake for 14-15 minutes or until golden brown. Rotate the pans after 10 minutes to ensure even baking.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely on the pan before removing to a cutting board - they will be very fragile and will break if moved while still warm.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Add more juice if the glaze is too thick, being carefully to create a glaze thick enough to drizzle, but not so thin that it's transparent when it dries.
- Drizzle the glaze over the cooled cookies and allow to set before cutting.
- Once the glaze has set, cut the cookies into slices.
- Store up to a week in an air tight container.
Recipe slightly adapted from The Kitchen Lioness
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0g