There is nothing more quintessential fall than a delicious batch of my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread!
My classic pumpkin bread includes the secret ingredient of sour cream to help add moisture making this an ideal Fall staple!
Simple, delicious, and easy – this pumpkin chocolate chip bread is the perfect recipe for the holidays, cool temperatures of fall, or truly any time of the year!
Best Recipe Ever: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
It’s definitely pumpkin time! The grocery stores have started stocking fresh pumpkins and the shelves for canned pumpkin puree are always empty.
As always, my first pumpkin recipe of the season is this bright orange pumpkin chocolate chip bread!
When I first saw a similar recipe on Fever Avenue, I knew I had to adjust the measurements and make it on my own.
The bread is full of pumpkin flavor and when eaten warm…oh that chocolate gooeyness is TO DIE FOR!
So if you’re looking for a delicious food to serve this Fall, look no further than this amazing Pumpkin Chocolate Bread!
Pumpkin Bread Recipe – SUCCESS!!
When I first made this recipe, I never knew so many people could enjoy it as I have with my family. I mean, it’s delicious, but the incredible outpouring of love for this recipe was just near insanity to me! Below are some of the updates from when I first posted this recipe.
UPDATE (8/13): This is the #1 recipe on my blog with more than 128,000 pins on Pinterest! THANK YOU to everyone who has shared, made, and loved this recipe!
UPDATE (11/16): Crazy that this simple quick bread is still the #1 recipe on my site! Someday I should probably make it again and take more photos!! HA
Once again, I am in awe of how amazing this recipe is, but also for the support and love others have shared. It is indeed, an incredible pumpkin bread recipe!
Variations on Pumpkin Bread Chocolate Chip Recipe
In many of the emails, comments, and responses I have gotten on this recipe, people have mentioned their own small variations.
While the core recipe has remained the same, and is still my personal favorite, others have tweaked it for their preferences.
I thought I would share some of those suggestions here for you to consider.
- Add chopped pecans or walnuts to the batter
- Substitute chocolate chips with white chocolate chips or caramel chips or butterscotch chips
- Mix in shredded coconut and substitute ¼ cup of pumpkin puree with crushed pineapple
- Add a cheesecake swirl to the middle of the bread
- Mix in ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder in place of ¼ cup flour
- Make your own homemade pumpkin pie spice blend
This pumpkin banana bread with chocolate glaze is another great sweet breakfast bread variation you could try!
Can I freeze this pumpkin bread recipe?
This is yet another reason why I love this super easy bread recipe. If you ever thought to make pumpkin bread easy for sharing, make it in double or triple batches!
You already have the ingredients out on the counter, and the oven is on, why not make extra?
When I make extra loaves of this pumpkin bread, I will do one of the few things for freezing.
- Allow the bread to cool completely before wrapping in plastic wrap then placing inside a labeled and dated gallon freezer bag. This is ideal for when you want to make ahead to gift whole loaves
- Bake in disposable aluminum loaf pans and allow to cool before wrapping the entire pan and bread in plastic wrap to go into freezer bags like above. This is great for reheating the bread in the oven or gifting.
- Allow the bread to cool, then slice into servings and separate each slice with waxed paper before stacking in a gallon freezer bag or large airtight freezer storage container. This allows you to grab a single piece at a time for a fast treat.
- Pour into lined muffin/cupcake tins to make individual servings and drop into a freezer storage bag once cooled completely.
Is this the Pioneer Woman pumpkin bread?
This is not the Pioneer Woman recipe for pumpkin bread. It is better!
At least, I think so! It is definitely similar to the one she has made popular, but I believe that this one is a much better recipe.
Make sure you check out more of my favorite pumpkin recipes.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 2/3 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup + 1/4 cup chocolate chips, divided
- powdered sugar, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Grease & flour loaf pan. (I also lined mine with parchment paper.)
- In large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt TWICE.
- In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, eggs, oil, vanilla and sour cream until smooth.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the wet ingredients. Whisk together until smooth.
- Fold in 1 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top.
- Bake 60-75 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack 20 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust top with powdered sugar to garnish.