Hello! I am back from my trip to Southern Europe and am ready to get into the kitchen! I brought back lots of delicious goodies from Switzerland, Austria, Germany and Italy… but my favorite was the Lemoncino I spotted in a little shop in Venice. I’ve been looking all over Germany for Lemoncello or any kind of lemon liquor, but haven’t found anything! Boo! Alas, the Italians had lots of it and I definitely brought a big bottle home with me.
Today, I made lemon cupcakes and topped them with candied lemon zest. I’ve never made candied zest before but knew that it couldn’t be too difficult. I asked my friend Carrie from Fields of Cake for the recipe she used and I scoured the internet for recipes. What I came up with a quick, simple way to make candied zest, perfect for topping my cupcakes with!
- 2 large lemons
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- sugar for sprinkling
- Peel the zest of the lemons off in large strips.
- Slice the strips into long pieces.
- Place the zest into a pot and cover with water.
- Simmer uncovered for about 7 minutes.
- Strain zest and discard water.
- Add the zest back to the pot with 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a simmer and cook until the water thickens and the zest becomes translucent. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- Move the zest to a piece of wax paper, sprinkle lightly with sugar and allow to cool and harden until ready to use.
Amount Per Serving Calories 0Total Fat 0g