I’m always in the mood to bake. Especially when I don’t have to dirty up my stand mixer. Especially when it’s cloudy and rainy outside. Especially when I have no plans for the day. Especially when I already have pie and cupcakes in my kitchen. Especially when I am craving chocolate. Especially when… oh, uhm… well… I guess whenever really!
Remember those peanut M&M in German colors I found a few weeks ago at the Edeka here in Germany? Well, I haven’t gotten around to using them yet… until today. But hmm… what should I put them in? While browsing Pinterest, I came across a pretty simple recipe for brownies from Buns in My Oven which I used as my inspiration for these brownies. Fudgey brownies are my weakness, so I was sure I’d love this recipe!
Just a little note on these brownies, they are super sweet and call for a lot of sugar. If you want them less sweet, I’d cut the sugar by at least 1/2 a cup… maybe more. Also, they are really super fudgey, so if you want more cake like brownies, use only 2 eggs.
PS… These would be really good minus the M&Ms and add a cup of peanuts. The crunch and saltyness of the peanuts go really well in these brownies… I found myself wanting more peanut in each bite!
Peanut M&M Brownies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 tsp espresso powder
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup chocolate chunk
- 1-2 cups Peanut M&Ms, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Butter a 9x13 baking pan. I also lined the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter on low-med heat. Whisk in the sugars and cook 1-2 minutes until the sugar has completely dissolved, whisking constantly.
- Add the vanilla extract, cocoa powder and espresso powder and whisk until dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Fold the butter/chocolate mixture into the flour mixture until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX.
- Add the eggs and whisk until combined.
- Fold in the chocolate chunks & 1 cup of the M&Ms. Use your spatula to scrape the sides and fold a few times to ensure everything is combined.
- Spread batter into prepared baking pan.
- Use the remaining M&Ms to place on top of the batter. It's always best when you have a few M&Ms showing on top!
- Baking 27-33 minutes or until the edges are firm and the center is still a bit soft. Allow to cool in pan before removing to cut and serve.
Thursday 8th of June 2017
They turned out beautifully!! Thanks for the recipe.
Saturday 22nd of October 2016
I just came across this recipe and cut it out of a mag. The recipe calls for 2 cups of vinegar! The instructions have no mention of vinegar. Hope no one makes these brownies according to this recipe.Ly
Saturday 22nd of October 2016
Oh my goodness!! If you don't mind me asking, what magazine did you get it from? Could you snap a photo and send it to me at [email protected]? Thanks for the heads up!
Thursday 7th of June 2012
Yes, I said Peanut M&M's - the guys in my office are APE for the peanut m&ms and so I put them in brownies for them, and they were a hit!
Wednesday 6th of June 2012
Those brownies look so delicious, really love peanut M&M's and the brownies looks so fudgy and moist. I have to make these right away!!