I know that there is already a PB&J cupcake recipe here at JC but, I loved these so much that I still wanted to share them with you all! If you’re looking for a nostalgic recipe to remind you of your childhood-look no further than these cupcakes.
For me, a PB&J sandwich means 3 things: 1-white bread, 2-strawberry jam, and 3-creamy peanut butter frosting. These cupcakes are the best combination of all 3 in the most amazing way possible! They are made with a white cake batter that seriously tastes like white bread! I don’t eat a lot of white bread these days (or any, if I’m keeping it real… and yes, I’m aware of how snotty that makes me sound! lol) BUT when I want a PB&J sandwich the only kind of bread I want is good ol’ fashioned white, Wonder Bread. Right? Right! They’re filled with my favorite strawberry jam and topped with my favorite peanut butter frosting, that’s mixed with a little bit of cream cheese to keep it a little tangy and light.
I promise if you make these you’ll be in love. Well, in love if you love white bread, strawberry jam and peanut butter. Sounds like a winning combo to me!
PB&J Cupcakes (Cake Batter & Inspiration: My Baking Addiction)
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line cupcake pan with cupcakes liners.
- In a medium sized bowl sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and egg whites.
- In a standing bowl mixer with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed for a full 3 minutes until light and fluffy. Add in the vanilla and mix until combined.
- In 3 additions, alternate adding the flour mixture and the buttermilk & egg white mixture to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. After everything is combined, beat the batter for about 2 minutes to ensure that everything is incorporated and the batter is well aerated.
- Fill each liner with a full ice cream scoop of batter and bake for 18-22 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before filling & frosting.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- pinch of salt
- 1-8oz. package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (creamy/smooth, not fresh ground)
- 2 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- Cream butter and cream cheese until light fluffy in a standing bowl mixer on low-medium speed for about 3 minutes.
- Add the peanut butter and salt and mix until combined.
- Add the powdered sugar and combine on low speed until incorporated.
- Whip for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Using a small knife, hollow out each cupcake and fill with about 1-2 teaspoons of jam. I prefer strawberry jam, but use whatever makes you happy!
- Using a large star tip, piper peanut butter frosting onto each cupcake.
- Using a small pastry bag or a ziploc bag, add a small dollop of jam to the top of each cupcake.