On a trip to Regensburg, Germany last week we picked up some local white asparagus to go with our dinner that night. My new friend Chrissy recommended it. And let me tell you… YUM. Seriously. If you ever have a chance to get it…. try it. SO GOOD. Anyways… about the breadsticks. Yeah, well… these bad boys are the easiest, yummiest things too!
I’ve been wanting to make these after I saw them on this blog, The Bakery Box. Seriously, you can’t get much easier than this. I used the basic ingredients for the dough and then dressed up the sticks with what I had in my own kitchen. They are baking right now… and the smell is filling up my kitchen. Garlic, cheese, butter…. OH MY!
Twisty Garlicy Cheesey Breadsticks!
Makes 8-10 large sticks or more if you make them smaller!
1 1/2 cups warm water
1 tbsp yeast (1 package)
2 tbsp sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water.
- Mix in the sugar and let sit for 3-4 minutes until it starts to bubble.
- Add the flour and salt and mix in with a wooden spoon until you can’t mix it anymore and most of the flour has been incorporated.
- Flour your counter top and then knead the dough for about 3 minutes. You want the dough to be smooth and not sticky so add a touch more of flour to the counter top if necessary.
- Let dough rest for about 10 minutes.
- Roll out into a large rectangle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Brush melted butter onto flattened dough and sprinkle half the topping mixture evenly. Press mixture into the dough so it doesn’t fall off when you roll the strips together.
- Cut 1/2-1 in strips. I rolled them a little to make them round. Really, you can cut and twist them any way you want. I found though that they bake up big, so thinner would be better!
- Fold the rolls in half and twist.
- Brush tops of twists with more butter and sprinkle remaining cheese topping and coarse salt on top.
- Preheat your oven to 375 F degrees. While it preheats, your breadsticks will rise.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden brown.
1 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup Cheddar cheese
3 large cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp Italian seasoning
Coarse ground salt
1/2 cup melted butter