Moist red velvet cake piled high with rich and creamy Nutella buttercream make these Red Velvet Nutella Cupcakes!
This week is an interesting one in my house because I have a house guest. We’re hosting a recently-turned-20-year-old college student who is traveling Europe for the summer between his two semesters of NYU in Paris and Prague. Jack is the son of a friend of mine from college. A growing boy. A boy with a bottomless pit of a stomach.
I have a teenage girl, a baby and a soldier who watches his diet. Jack has given me a bit of Culture. Shock.
Jack is 6’3″ and about a buck twenty… wet. And he can eat! The first night he was here we went out for ice cream and he put away a double scoop on a cone and then a 3 scoop sundae of ice cream. Yeah – I don’t know where he puts it all. And I’m totally jealous. haha
I promised his Mom I would bake for him while he’s here. Of course. hehe He requested red velvet… but since I had just made red velvet cupcakes I asked him for another flavor. Chocolate he says.
What could I possibly do different with red velvet or chocolate?
OH! Jack loves Nutella too!
Done! Red Velvet Nutella Cupcakes is what I’ll make! Moist red velvet cake topped with a rich Nutella buttercream. YES!
To make these cupcakes extra special, I used my brand-new not-even-on-the-market-yet grease proof liners from Sweets & Treats Boutique! Only myself and one other blogger have these polka dot liners! So a big thanks to Shannon for letting me have an exclusive first look at these sweet liners!
Don’t you just love the red velvet cupcakes in the Sweets & Treats Boutique liners? Polka dots just make everything more fun!
Shannon sent me the polka dot liners in 4 c0lors – black, red, green and blue. And I can’t wait for them to be available in a rainbow of colors! LOVE them!
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 Tbsp dark chocolate cocoa powder (I used HERSHEYS)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk mixed with 2 tsp white vinegar - let stand for 5 minutes before using
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp liquid red food coloring
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 13oz jar of Nutella
- 1lb powdered sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with polka dot liners from Sweets & Treats Boutique .
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar and oil. Mix in the eggs one at a time. Add the milk/vinegar, food coloring and vanilla and whisk to combine.
- Make a well in the flour mixture and pour in the wet. Using a whisk, stir until combined and there are no more lumps of flour... about 10 strokes.
- Fill each liner at least 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 17-19 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the butter and Nutella.
- Add the sugar and mix on high until incorporated.
- Add the vanilla, salt and milk and beat for 3-4 minutes on high.
- Using a Wilton 1M tip, pipe swirls of frosting onto each cupcake.
- Top with a chocolate chip.