If you love Snickerdoodles, then these cupcakes are the ultimate in Snickerdoodle. These “Double Doodle” cupcakes are packed full of cinnamon, sugar and flavor! Sure to be a crowd pleaser at any party!
Inspired by Bakerella’s snickerdoodle cupcakes, my version has just a little more sugar and cinnamon. I really can’t get enough of that good stuff. The cupcakes are a moist, dense cupcake full of cinnamon, with a cracked cinnamon and sugar crust then all topped off with a cinnamon buttercream and a fresh Snickerdoodle cookie. That’s right… you heard me…. a whole cookie on top!! That’s the Double Doodle!
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup milk, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar + 2 tbsp cinnamon, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a mixer set on high, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- One at a time, add the eggs. Mix on high for 1-2 minutes.
- Add vanilla and mix until combined.
- Add flour and milk to the batter alternating, beginning and ending with the flour. Mix only until combined making sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
- Fill baking cups about 3/4 full then top with the sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. Rotate pan 1/2 way through baking.
- Cool cupcakes in pan at least 5 minutes then cool on a wire rack completely.
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 tbsp whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 heaping tbsp cinnamon
1lb (3-4 cups) powdered sugar, sifted
- Cream the butter until smooth.
- One cup at a time, beat in the powdered sugar.
- Add the vanilla and cinnamon and mix until combined.
- Add the whipping cream until you get the consistency you desire, mix until combined.
- Beat on high for 2 minutes or until smooth and creamy.
- Using a large round tip, pipe a dollop of frosting on each cupcake then top with a Snickerdoodle cookie.
For these mini doodle cupcakes, I baked them the same as the regular size cupcakes, but instead of topping them with a snickerdoodle cookie (although you could bake mini snickerdoodle cookies and top them with those), I sprinkled a little bit of cinnamon on top of the buttercream. Super yum!