Using whole wheat flour, seeds, and oil, this “healthyish” Banana Nut Bread is a guilt-free alternative to a traditional banana bread recipe.
I was provided products from OXO for this post, however all the opinions are my own.
When I started writing this post, I got to thinking about how many different banana bread recipes I’ve made. Turns out that this Banana Nut Bread is the 8th different banana bread recipe I’ve shared on The JavaCupcake Blog.
EIGHT!!! Can you believe it?
Other awesome banana bread recipes from JavaCupcake:
- Peanut Butter and Chocolate Banana Bread
- Biscoff White Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cupcakes
- Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Bread with Chocolate Glaze
- Emme’s Banana Bread
- Blueberry Banana Bread
This recipe for Banana Nut Bread comes from Healthyish: A Cookbook with Seriously Satisfying, Truly Simple, Good-For-You (but not too Good-For-You) Recipes for Real Life by Lindsay Maitland Hunt.
In the book, this recipe is actually titled ‘Seeded Whole Wheat Banana Bread’ and can be found on pg. 59. Big thanks to OXO for gifting me with this book and the tools to make this bread.
What I love about this book is that Abrams takes recipes we all know and love and just gives them a healthy twist.
For example, this banana nut bread uses oil instead of butter, whole wheat flour instead of all purpose flour, less sugar and adds sesame and poppy seeds as well as pecans.
OXO Products used:
- Non-Stick Pro 1 lb Loaf Pan
- Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons Set
- Non-Stick Pro Cooling and Baking Rack
- Chef’s Precision Oven Thermometer
Unfortunately, I can’t eat nuts because I’m allergic to them… however my photographer Fanette of Frenchly Photography said this Banana Nut Bread was out-of-this-world delicious!
In fact, for the 2 days it was in her house, Fanette said this Banana Nut Bread was the only thing her 1 year old son, Jules, would eat! Now, if that isn’t the ultimate compliment… I don’t know what is!
So if you’re looking for a ‘healthyish’ version of banana bread, you must try this recipe for Banana Nut Bread!
- 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup mashed banana, very ripe (3 large bananas)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (35g) poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup (46g) sesame seeds
- 2/3 cup (135g) granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (120g) chopped pecans
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Grease & flour a loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients: oil, bananas, eggs, and vanilla.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, seeds, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In two parts, add the dry flour mixture to the wet oil mixture. Fold until just combined.
- Add the chopped nuts and fold gently to incorporate.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and seeds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle sugar/seeds over the top.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until the edges are dark golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the bread in the pan for 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.