I’m super excited to be a part of a blog that I’ve been reading for 4+ years, Coffee Cup News! CCN has invited me to be an author, sharing my recipes for decadent and delicious coffee desserts and yummies!
For my first post, I’ve made the most amazing mocha cupcake and it’s filled with dulce de leche and topped with a mocha whipped cream. It’s just like having your favorite caramel mocha from Starbucks… but in a cupcake!
So if you love coffee, visit Coffee Cup News, tell them Betsy sent you and enjoy the coffee!
PS… the FULL RECIPE for this cupcake can be found HERE!
This rich, thick, delicious and easy Crock-Pot Dulce de Leche makes the best filling for cakes, cupcakes or even topped on ice cream!
This week my friend Jason of Coffee Cup News asked if I’d be interested in submitting coffee related recipes to his blog every month or so! And well… since I love Jason’s blog (I’ve been a loyal following since the beginning) I jumped at the chance to contribute!
Jason wanted original content for his blog… which well uhm… .might be hard cause I use coffee a lot in my baking. I mean, every chocolate cupcake I make has coffee in it. I’ve even already made a cupcake with coffee in the cake AND the frosting… my Mocha Mocha Cupcakes. And really… what kind of a blogger would I be if I called myself “JAVA” Cupcake and never used coffee! So… I’m on a quest to come up with a new coffee cupcake for my first post on Coffee Cup News.
When I first began brainstorming ideas, I thought about some of my favorite coffee drinks I like to get when I go to Starbucks. Let me be more specific…. when I go to Starbucks in the USA. European Starbucks offer completely different flavors and I just haven’t jumped on that bandwagon yet. Yeah – I’m a Seattle Starbucks Snob. lol One of my favorites at Starbucks is anything with caramel in it. Caramel Macchiato, Caramel Frappucino, Caramel Mocha… seriously, anything with caramel in it is YUM. And then that got me to thinking about how I could incorporate caramel into a cupcake, uniquely.
Dulce de leche! PERFECT! I’ve never made it before and I’ve read on so many other blogs how simple it is to make. So yes…. I’ll make dulce de leche and fill my cupcakes with it and then of course drizzle it on top!
And let me tell you… there is nothing simpler than making this sweet, caramely goodness. You need only three things and time. Simple. Easy. Delicious.
- 1 can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Foil or heat proof plate
- Remove the paper from the can of milk.
- Plate a piece of foil or a heat proof plate on the bottom of the crockpot to protect it from rust building up on the can during cooking.
- Set the can of milk on the plate or foil and cover completely with water then attach crockpot lid.
- Depending on how much time you have... you can cook the dulce de leche in one of two ways...
- On HIGH: Cook for 4-6 hours. 5 hours seems to make a good consistency, but go 6 if you want it thicker.
- On LOW: Cook 8 hours.
- CAUTION: Make sure that the can remains covered AT ALL TIMES. Allowing the water to boil off could cause the can to explode.
- Allow can to come to room temperature before opening.
- Store in air tight container up to a week in the refrigerator.
I spent all weekend making these cupcakes. The first day, well, it was an epic fail. They weren’t pretty at all. The middle had a huge hole and I was super sad. Boyfriend & I have agreed to disagree about what happened. The power went out with about 2 minutes left while they were baking. I said it’s the powers fault. He says that they looked like that before the power went out. Continue Reading “Dulce de Leche Cupcakes (take 2)”