Rich, thick, delicious cream cheese frosting that’s the perfect consistency for piping on cupcakes!
- 8oz full fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temp for 30 minutes before using
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp heavy cream (as needed)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the slightly room temperature butter and cream cheese just until combined.
- Sift the powdered sugar then measure out 2 1/2 cups. One cup at a time, add the sugar and slowly mix to combine. Do not mixer longer than it takes to combine.
- Pour the teaspoon of vanilla evenly over the frosting and mix slowly to combine.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl then mix on high for 5-7 seconds. STOP MIXING!
- Test the consistency of the frosting, if it is too thick add a teaspoon of heavy cream and mix only until incorporated.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with a star tip with frosting. Pipe swirls of thick, rich frosting onto cupcakes or a cake.