This post is sponsored by Hebrew National via Mode Media.
Boost your summer BBQ up a notch with these three delicious Summer Sides!
You’re having your favorite Hebrew National All-Beef Franks for dinner again, but you want to spice things up a bit with the sides. I’ve got three perfect sides for you that are light, fresh and delicious!
Living in Germany, I get inspired by my German friends who bring traditional side dishes to parties and cookouts. Someone always brings potato salad. German potato salad on the surface may look like American potato salad, but I guarantee you it’s not the same.
This potato salad recipe comes from my friend Mareile who is half German and lives near me here in Germany. She’s from the North of Germany and this recipe is unique to that region!
This family recipe goes back at least four generations in Mareile’s family and is nothing short of spectacular and makes the perfect addition to a summer BBQ.
Summer means there are always fresh, in-season vegetables available at the grocery store. My son Matthew loves cucumbers and I love tomatoes, so I whipped up this light Cucumber Tomato Salad to go with our BBQ.
Fresh cucumbers, seeded tomatoes and a red onion are dressed in olive oil and red wine vinegar with salt and pepper. It takes only a few minutes to whip up and is the perfect summer side.
We have to have something sweet on our plate with our BBQ too so I sliced and grilled a pineapple then drizzled a brown sugar based glaze over the top. It’s uncomplicated and delightful.
NOTE: The combination of franks and these toppings may not be Kosher.
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into long slices
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar
- 50ml bourbon or whiskey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small sauce pan over medium high heat, combine the brown sugar, bourbon and vanilla. Whisk to combine. Bring the mixture to a bubble, keep whisking then remove from the heat to cool.
- Slice each slice of pineapple onto a skewer then set the slices onto a hot grill.
- Grill each side a few minutes until grill marks start to form. You just want to warm the pineapple and get grill marks, do not burn them!
- Once you like how they look, remove them to a serving dish.
- Drizzle the glaze over the top of the pineapple slices.
- Serve immediately.
So if you’re in need of the perfect Summer Sides for your next BBQ, try my Bavarian Potato Salad, Cucumber Tomato Salad and Grilled & Glazed Pineapple! What makes a Hebrew National kosher hot dog premium? It’s all about what makes the cut (And what doesn’t). We’re choosy about what goes into our franks – we use only premium cuts of 100% kosher beef from the front half of the cow and then choose the best from that. No artificial ﬂavors, colors, ﬁllers or by‐products. When your hot dog is Kosher, that’s a hot dog you can trust! For more summer fun with Hebrew National, visit Hebrew National All-Beef Franks.