Today I’m going to a Chili Cook-Off. I don’t have a super special recipe for chili… but I can bake!! So, I’ve whipped up a batch of Honey Cornbread Muffins. I’ve never made them from scratch before, always from the little blue box in the grocery store. But, I recently acquired a can of cornmeal and knew this was the perfect time to whip up a batch!
I love these muffins because you don’t need an electric mixer to make them. Just two mixing bowls, a whisk, spatula and measuring cups/spoons. SO EASY! These would be great too with a little cheddar cheese thrown in or some cream corn. YUM! So many ways to mix this up!
Honey Cornbread Muffins
Makes 24 muffins
2 cups yellow cornmeal
2 cup flour
2 tbsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup buttermilk
4 large eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted & slightly cooled
1/2 cup honey
2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp honey
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees. Line cupcake pans with liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milks, eggs, 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup honey.
- Create a well in the flour mixture in the large bowl and pour in the wet ingredients. Using a spatula, mix together until just combined, about 15 strokes. Do not overmix.
- Scoop into cupcake liners using an ice cream scoop.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cook in pans for 2 minutes before removing to wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the 2 tbsp melted butter and honey. Using a brush, spread glaze over the top of each muffin.
- Serve for breakfast or with your favorite chili! YUM!