Spring is here and these Flower Pot Cupcakes will make the perfect dessert for a garden party or Spring soiree!
I subscribe to Cake Style on YouTube and one of their recent videos featuring piped cosmos flowers placed onto a layer cake inspired me to make these cupcakes!
So, I taught myself to pipe cosmos flowers and made these super cute Flower Pot Cupcakes…
With a video too! (Scroll to the bottom)
These cupcakes aren’t for beginners, unfortunately. You’ll need to know how to use a piping bag and a some experience working with buttercream.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 dozen Sweets & Treats Boutique Bake Bright cupcake liners
- 1 dozen cupcakes made with Pillsbury Funfetti Vibrant Green Cupcake and Cake Mix (8.25 oz. pouch) + the ingredients needed to bake them
- Vanilla buttercream – I used this recipe
- Wilton dyes in – green, yellow, & two other colors of your choice for flowers
- Disposable piping bags & small couplers
- Wilton tips #102, #3, #233, #67
- Flower nail
- Parchment squares
- Baking sheet
I really love how the Sweets & Treats Boutique green dot liners really add to the overall look of the cupcake! I’m a firm believer that the cupcake shouldn’t just look pretty on top where the frosting is, but the it should be cute from top to bottom!
- Prepare the green cake mix as instructed on the package and bake them in the Sweets & Treats Bake Bright green dot liners. Allow the cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- Separate the buttercream into two… 2/3 in one bowl and 1/3 in another.
- Separate the 2/3 buttercream into three equal parts. Leave one white and color the other two any color you want for the flowers.
- Separate the 1/3 buttercream in two parts, 2/3 and 1/3. Color the 1/3 yellow and the 2/3 green.
- Fit the piping bag with the #102 small petal tip and fill the piping bag with the first color.
- Place a dab of frosting onto a parchment square and place it on the flower nail. Pipe 7-8 petals onto the square, spinning the flower nail as you pipe. (See the video for more details) Place the flower onto the baking sheet. Repeat with the other two colors of buttercream until you’ve made at least 3-5 flowers per cupcake. (For more details on how to pipe the flowers, see the Cake Style video that inspired me to make these cupcakes)
- Fill a piping bag fitted with the #3 small round tip with the yellow buttercream. Pipe 6-8 dots of yellow into the center of each flower. (See the video for more details)
- Freeze all the flowers until they are firm.
- Fill a piping bag fitted with the #233 grass tip with the green buttercream. Pipe little shoots of grass onto the top of each cupcake. (See the video for more details)
- Fill a piping bag fitted with the #67 leaf tip with green buttercream. Pipe dabs of frosting onto the top of the grass. This will act like the glue to hold on the flowers.
- Working with 3-5 flowers at a time out of the freezer, gently peel each flower off the parchment square and place it onto the cupcake. Place as many as you like in whatever way you feel looks best. (See video for more details)
- Pipe leaves with the green buttercream around the flowers.
- Repeat until all the cupcakes are covered.
NOTE: The flowers get soft very quickly, so keep them chilled until you are ready to place them on the cupcake.
I am so super in love with how well these cupcakes turned out. Piping the flowers first, chilling them and then placing them on top created the perfect little pot of flowers!
When the buttercream flowers come to room temperature, they meld onto each other making it impossible to tell how they were place on the cupcakes! I had people amazed and how I made these!
So whether you’re hosting a garden party, a bake sale or just want to make something adorable, these Flower Pot Cupcakes are perfect for all your cupcake needs!