Imagine your favorite molasses cookies, your favorite ginger cookies and your favorite pumpkin cookies. Now imagine all three of those cookies rolled into one delicious cookie and you’ve got my Pumpkin Spice Molasses Cookies!
Every fall, I try to come up with at least one new (to me) recipe whose main ingredient is pumpkin. This season, I decided to combine my husband’s love for ginger and my love for molasses into a pumpkin cookie perfect for the season.
This recipe didn’t turn out exactly how I imagined it in my head… I was going for a chewy cookie, but these are more cakey. Which is okay, to be honest because the flavor is out of this world!
The extra Turbinado sugar added after baking adds just the right amount of sweet crunch to the soft cookie. I probably at half of these cookies myself. They were kinda irresistible.
So yeah… try these Pumpkin Spice Molasses Cookies. They’re not the prettiest… but they are the tastiest!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅓ cup dark molasses
- 1 egg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 2 cups Turbinado sugar
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar for 1 minute.
- While the sugar/butter is creaming, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger, and cinnamon until well incorporated.
- Add the molasses to the butter/sugar and beat until incorporated. Add the egg and mix on high for at least 1 minute until the light and fluffy.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix in the pumpkin.
- A little at a time with the mixer on low, add the flour and spice mixture. Mix only until just combined.
- Separate the dough into four sections. Place each section onto a large piece of plastic wrap. Fold the wrap over the dough then shape it into a log about 8in long. This will be the width of you cookies, so i you want small cookies make the log longer, bigger cookies make the log shorter. Repeat with the remaining dough. Chill the dough for about an hour or until firm enough to cut through.
- While the dough is chilling, preheat the oven to 325F degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Once firm, unwrap the dough and cut it in half. Cut those halves in half. And finally cut the quarters in half.
- Pour the Turbinado sugar into a bowl or dish and coat each cookie in the sugar then place them 1-2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12-17 minutes depending on how cold your dough when you put it in the oven. You want the edges to begin to crisp but the center to remain soft. Under baking will create a wet, under-baked look on top of the cookie.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheet at least 5 minutes before removing to cool on a wire rack. They are soft and fragile, so be gentle. Sprinkle more sugar on top of each cookie while still hot.