Tart rhubarb paired with sweet strawberry is a perfect summer flavor combination. Top both fruits with a thick layer of crumble and you’ve got an amazing afternoon treat!
I wasn’t planning on posting this recipe. Really, I just wanted to try out baking rhubarb and strawberry together to see how I liked the flavor. I invited a few friends over with their kids to play and pulled this crumble out of the oven just in time for an afternoon treat.
As soon as I saw it completely baked, I knew it was going to taste amazing and decided to snap a few pictures in the backyard before we dug into it!
Not only did the kids devour it, but my friends and I literally licked the dish I baked it in clean!
The freshness of the fruit with the crumbly sweet topped is literally so good, I went to the store and bought more rhubarb just so I could make it (or something like it) again!
You must TRY THIS! It’s so simple to put together and you will WOW anyone you serve it to!
- 550g strawberries, cleaned & quartered
- 200g rhubarb, strings removed and sliced into ½in pieces
- ¾ cup sugar
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cubed and cold
- 1½ cups rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 375 F degrees. Spray a 28cm fluted, round baking dish with non-stick baking spray with flour. Alternatively you can use a 9x13in baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice and toss until incorporated. Add the flour and cinnamon and fold to coat completely. Pour into prepared baking dish and spread evenly.
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, sugar and salt until combined. Add the cold butter and process until it comes to a loose dough. Add the oats and pulse until combined. Remove to a bowl and mix together the oats if the food processor doesn't thoroughly incorporate them enough with out breaking them.
- Press the topping into clumps and spread them evenly over the top of the fruit. Place the baking dish on a baking sheet and place on the center rack of the heated oven.
- Bake for about an hour or until the topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving. Eat while warm.