With Halloween just around the corner, my friend Kathy of Tiny Kitchen Cakes and I decided to make some super scary yet incredibly cute cupcakes!
Kathy made the fondant toppers, I made the cake and frosting and together we assembled! They were really not too difficult to make either.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Black cupcake liners from Sweets & Treats Boutique
- Black, Leaf Green, Purple, Yellow, Brown & Orange food coloring gel
- Chocolate cupcake recipe
- Vanilla Buttercream recipe
- Lime green sugar pearls
- Orange & black jimmies
How to make Witch’s Cauldron Cupcakes:
- Prepare the chocolate cupcakes as directed. Add enough black food coloring to the batter to make it as dark as possible.
- Prepare the buttercream and tint it lime green. If you want to make some with orange swirls, reserve some white to tint orange.
- Color most of your fondant black and shape witch’s hats, black cats, broom sticks and poles for the signs.
- Color some of the fondant green and cut out squares for the signs and small circles for the cat eyes.
- Color more of the fondant purple and yellow and cut out shapes to complete the witch’s hat.
- Finally color fondant brown and make the bristles for the broom.
- Attach all the pieces together and set out to dry overnight.
- Make a small dollop of green frosting in the center of the cupcake. Spread a small amount of frosting down one edge of the cupcake.
- Cover the frosting in green sugar pearls making sure not to press them too deep into the frosting.
- Top each cupcake with a dried fondant topper.
- Optionally – pipe swirls of orange frosting onto the cupcakes and sprinkle with orange and black jimmies.
A few things to know…
- The sugar pearls like to fall off these cupcakes, so make sure you have LOTS so you can pop more on when you need them.
- Reinforce the sign poles with a toothpick inside, this will help add stability.
- For 50 cupcakes, it took about 4 hours to make enough toppers, 3 hours to bake the cupcakes & make frosting and about 2 hours to assemble them.