Giant pumpkin chocolate snickerdoodles rolled in sugar and spices are a perfect treat for a rainy, Fall afternoon! Oh… did I mention there’s a SURPRISE baked inside each cookie?
When I saw the bags of Hershey’s Pumpkin Spice Kisses at the Commissary I knew I had to snatch up a couple bags immediately. Seasonal candy like that is hard to come by here in Germany. These kisses are a pumpkin spice flavored milk chocolate kiss that is full of delicious Fall flavor.
But… what was I going to make with these candies? I’d already done a pumpkin spice cupcake… so I knew I didn’t need to make another cupcake. I’d also already made pumpkin snickerdooles and pumpkin chocoalte chip cookies. *humph*
Wait… how about pumpkin & chocolate together in a cookie? Since these kisses were pumpkin and chocolate… that would be a perfect combination.
I knew though that I couldn’t do a standard “blossom” cookie for these. Those are so played out. It’s just way too easy to pop the Kiss on top of the cookie. I needed something better.
SURPRISE INSIDE! Yes!!!
So… I came up with these Pumpkin Chocolate Snickerdooles with a Surprise Kiss Inside! They are a light as air cookie that is full of chocolate, spice and pumpkin flavor. Each bite is so tender, rich and delicious.
You think you love the cookie from the moment you take your first bite. But then, you take a bite of the SURPRISE INSIDE… and BAM! an explosion of flavor in your mouth. Seriously. I’ve eaten at least a dozen of these cookies because those 2 bites with the Hershey’s Kiss inside are pure joy. Heaven. So damn good!
These cookies would be perfect at a party, in your kids lunch, or even a potluck at work…. because the excitement of watching the person bite into the center of the cookie and find that Hershey Pumpkin Kiss surprise inside is PRICELESS!
PS… I made a short little video to go along with this recipe! The Kisses were a bit of a challenge to get into the middle of the sticky dough. Let me know what you think and if it was helpful for you!
- 2¼ cups flour
- ½ cups dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 2 tspcream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Hershey's Pumpkin Spice Kisses
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup sugar in the raw
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. Unwrap the Hershey's Pumpkin Spice Kisses and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, spices, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy - about 2 minutes.
- Add the egg and mix until combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the pumpkin. Mix again until smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- Pour in half the flour mixture and mix on medium until just combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the remaining flour mixture. Mix on medium speed until smooth.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and FREEZE FOR 2 HOURS! Don't skip this step or the batter will be too sticky to work with.
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for rolling dough in. Set aside
- Using a tablespoon, scoop a small apricot sized ball onto the spoon. Press a Hershey Kiss into the center and use one finger to move the batter around the Kiss until covered. NOTE: Try not to get dough all over your hands - just use one finger to move the dough. Watch the video below to see exactly how I did it.
- Drop the dough into the rolling mixture. Shake the bowl around until the dough is completely covered in sugar. Once covered in sugar, form dough into a ball with your hands and place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until the tops begin to form a crust and are slightly firm... the cookies should still be soft to the touch.
- Allow to sit on the pan for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.