These cupcakes came together on a whim this morning. I was making the chocolate cake layer for an upcoming cake project and had extra batter so I made 10 chocolate cupcakes. About a week ago I bought a bag of Peanut Butter M&M (under the influence of PMS HAHA!) and thought that they’d make an excellent addition to a peanut butter filling for chocolate cupcakes. But… as I was whipping up the filling I realized that what I was making would make an even better frosting! So these Peanut Butter M&M Chocolate Cupcakes were born!
You can use any chocolate cupcake recipe you want for these. Heck, use a box mix. Cause let’s be honest here… it’s the frosting that’s the highlight of these cupcakes. Giant mound of peanut buttery, chunky candy goodness. I even used crunchy peanut butter for this frosting to add a little texture to each bite!
- Use this recipe ! It makes 2-3 dozen cupcakes so either HALF this recipe of DOUBLE the frosting recipe.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ heaping cup crunchy peanut butter (I used JIF)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 2 Tbsp milk
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup Peanut Butter M&M’s
- ¼ cup Peanut Butter M&M’s for garnish
- Prepare your chocolate cupcakes and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- Using a food processor, crush ½ cup of M&Ms until they are broken into very fine pieces. Remove from food processor and set aside. Repeat with ¼ cup of M&M’s and set aside for garnish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, using your hand mixer on high, cream together the peanut butter and butter.
- Add half the powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Mix in the vanilla, salt, and milk.
- Add the remaining powdered sugar and combine until incorporated. Turn your mixer to high and whip for 1-2 minutes until the frosting lightens in color and becomes fluffy.
- Add the ½ cup crushed M&Ms and mix until incorporated.
- Using an open star tip, pipe frosting onto each cupcake. Sprinkle more crushed M&Ms on top and garnish with a single M&M in the center of the frosting.
- Eat and enjoy!