I love nothing more than a good cookie. I mean seriously… chewy cookies that are just a little crisp around the edges… TO DIE FOR. These cookies, however, I may even kill for. (Well no, I won’t kill – but you get the idea). These chewy snickerdoodles are stuffed with caramel and made with a perfectly nutty browned butter.
Yah… you read that right. Browned butter AND caramel in the SAME snickerdoodle! I was inspired to make these cookies by Two Peas and their Pod who made a similar cookie not too long ago. I did make a batch that had the seasalt on top, but I wasn’t a huge fan of it with these cookies, so I omitted it for the rest.
Want a cookie to knock your socks off? These Caramel Stuffed Browned Butter Snickerdoodles will do just that!
Caramel Stuffed Browned Butter Snickerdoodles
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tspsalt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, sliced
- 1 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/4 cup + 2Tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- Kraft Caramel squares, cut in half
- 1/4 cup sugar, for rolling
- 2 tsp cinnamon, for rolling
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add the sliced butter and whisk until melted. Continue to whisk as the butter begins to cook. As it browns it will start to foam and will have a nutty aroma. Pay careful attention not to burn the butter, it can turn quickly. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- While the butter is cooling, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.
- Once the butter has cooled, cream it with the brown sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat will after each addition. Mix in the vanilla and sour cream and mix until combined.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Cover the dough and chill for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 F degrees and line your cookie sheet with parchment paper. In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon.
- Using at least 2 Tbsp of dough, work the dough in your hands until pliable. Roll the dough into a rough ball and then flatten it on your work surface. Press your thumb into the center of the flattened dough to create a well for the caramel.
- Place 1/2 a square of caramel into the well and then fold the sides of dough around the caramel. Use your hands to shape the dough into a ball. Roll it in your hands to smooth out the surface and make it round.
- Toss the dough ball in the cinnamon/sugar mixture and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the pan for 3-4 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.