Lemon Raspberry Shortbread Sandwich Cookies. Yea. You read that correctly. These cookies are the perfect combination of lemon and raspberries. Sweet and tart. I’ve made lots of lemon and raspberry combos (Lemoncino Raspberry Cupcakes & Lemon Raspberry Tart Pie – just to name a few) in the past… but I think this one may be one of my favorites.
I took a basic shortbread cookie and filled it with the most delicious raspberry jam and then topped it with a simple lemon drizzle. Simple but so yum! The day I made these, I also took the same shortbread cookies and filled them with a creamy lemon filling. Those were super yum too! But I think these were my favorite.
I hope you try these cause they are super easy and super delish!
Lemon Raspberry Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature and soft
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups sifted flour – measure after sifting
- Use your favorite raspberry jam. (I used a local homemade jam made by a cute little old German couple – best jam I’ve EVER had!)
- 1 heaping cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 325 F degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your mixer, press the lemon zest into the sugar. Your sugar will become thick and fragrant.
- Add the butter to the sugar and cream until fluffy. Scrape the sides of the bowl to make sure all the butter is incorporated.
- Mix in 1 Tbsp of the fresh squeezed lemon juice.
- Add the flour and mix on low until a dough ball forms.
- Place dough on a lightly floured counter and knead 2-3 times until smooth.
- Roll dough out about 1/4-1/2 inch thick.
- Using a 2 1/4in biscuit cutter (I used one from a Martha Stewart set), cut cookies and place onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake on center rack in your oven for 12-13 minutes or just until the edges begin to brown. Remove immediately to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and sugar.
- With a fork, stir until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Spread the raspberry jam in a thick layer on the bottom side of one cookie almost to the edges.
- Place another cookie on top of the jam (bottom side of the cookie face down on the filling) and press gently until the filling reaches the edges.
- Drizzle lemon and sugar mixture over the top of each cookie.