This is the BEST CHOCOLATE CAKE you’ll ever eat. Or at least the best chocolate cake I’ll ever eat!
I crave my chocolate cake. I mean, I think about it every day. Dream about it. Drool about it. Everyone who ever needs a cake recipe, I tell them to use this one. It’s by far the BEST chocolate cake I’ve ever made. The best part of it… it’s so incredibly simple to make. It takes just a few minutes to put together and you don’t even need a mixer. Two bowls, sauce pan and a whisk.
I’ve made this recipe so many times that I have it memorized. Which is saying a lot for me because I don’t have ANY other recipes of mine memorized. I always have to bring the tablet to the kitchen and look up the recipe on my blog.
Because this cake is just for me… I’m not decorating it fancy or doing anything special with it. I am just baking it in a 9×13 pan and frosting it with my favorite chocolate fudge frosting (recipe from my Mamma) and garnishing with simple sprinkles. I’m pretty sure my daughter and I will finish off a big slice tonight with a giant glass of milk and the rest will be gone by the weekend. Hmmm, maybe I’ll even invite my neighbors over for a slice. Maybe not.
This cake… this is the cake that you make when you want chocolate. When you just need a fix of that rich decadence that is chocolate but you don’t want a candy bar or cookies and you definitely don’t want to spend 100 hours in the kitchen making something. This is the chocolate cake you make when you know you want to eat it straight from the pan with a fork.
The Best Chocolate Cake You’ll Ever Eat!
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup strong brewed coffee
- ½ cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp espresso powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 1oz squares baking chocolate
- 1 lb sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Grease and flour 9x13 pan. I also lined mine with parchment paper.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter. Add the coffee, espresso powder, cocoa powder, and vanilla and whisk until combined. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, sift together the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sour cream and the eggs. SLOWLY add a few tablespoons of the chocolate mixture to the sour cream and eggs. Whisk to combine. In a slow stream, whisk in the remaining chocolate mixture until combined completely.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in wet. Using a whisk, stir until no more lumps remain.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan completely before frosting.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, prepare the frosting.
- Sift sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment.
- In a double boiler, melt the butter and chocolate together. Stir in the vanilla.
- With the mixer on low, slowly pour the chocolate into the powdered sugar. The frosting will be very thick and hard to mix.
- Add the whipping cream and beat until smooth. You may not need all the whipping cream, so add it slowly.
- As the frosting cools it will thicken so spread over cooled cake immediately.