So, this recipe is not what I’d typically post about on my blog… but I’ve made these beans a dozen times over the last 3 months and they are one of my most favorite creations, EVER! I am actually eating these beans now for a late afternoon lunch.
This recipe is really quite easy to make… and you’ll never want to go back to making canned refried beans again. Seriously… they are THAT GOOD.
The next time you have taco night at your house… make these beans too!
(PS… Sorry for the crappy camera phone picture!! lol)
Easy Homemade Refried Beans
- 4-6 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3-4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 15oz cans pinto beans (I used reduced sodium)
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp diced green chilies (I used canned)
- 1/2 cup diced canned tomatoes (any flavor variety you like)
- 1 large clove of garlic, thru the press or minced
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- pinch of chili powder (or to taste if you like it spicy)
- 1/2-3/4 cup water
- Drain and rinse the pinto beans. Set aside.
- In a large pan on high heat, melt the butter with the olive oil.
- Add the diced onions and sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add in the green chilies, tomatoes and garlic and continue to cook until heated through (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add the prepped pinto beans salt/pepper, red pepper flakes, chili powder.and water. Stir together and cook until bubbling. NOTE: Start with 1/2 cup of water. If the beans seem too thick, add more.
- With a potato masher, must the beans until no more remain whole.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until the beans are the consistency you desire.
- To serve: Top with melted cheese and a side of tortilla chips!
If you wanted to make these lower in fat, omit the butter and oil and spray pan with non-stick cooking spray.
Also, the measurements for all the ingredients are approximate. I make these a little different every time. If you wanted them spicy, add more heat! If you don’t like tomatoes, don’t add them! Use your imagination, the possibilities are endless!